FORUMS: list search recent posts

I would like to record sound in mono format

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cora Romanow
I would like to record sound in mono format
on Jul 16, 2017 at 9:04:28 pm

Hello! I recently started using the Sony nxcam and got the directional mic all set up, and have figured out how to adjust the gain, etc ... but I can't figure out if it is possible to switch from stereo audio recording to mono audio recording. ...To be completely honest I'm not even sure if it actually is stereo recording, because I have not been able to isolate the audio files from the video files yet (I'll figure that out on my own though).

Any chance anyone can help?

Cora

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: I would like to record sound in mono format
on Jul 17, 2017 at 2:39:19 pm

The definition of the video file contains two audio tracks. The camera has two audio inputs.

When you say mono, to the camera that means record the same audio input onto the two audio tracks.

On the left side of the camera are two sets of switches for the audio.

First select which audio input you want to go to channel, or track two.

Then select which audio input you want to go to channel 1. If you select the same audio input to go to channel 2 and channel 1, then it is in effect mono.

A question I have is why would you want to record Mono. Assuming you are going to edit the footage, if you record stereo, then convert it to mono in the editor, it gives you much more flexibility.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Cora Romanow
on Jul 18, 2017 at 12:31:42 am

Thank you John! I see the little inputs switches and have them set up properly now.

I'll answer your question first, but then I have a couple of follow-up questions.

I am a wildlife biologist who studies animal communication, and am currently in the field observing mule and white-tailed deer. I am taking video of the deer and hoping to opportunistically capture some of their vocalizations while I'm doing this. If I do capture the vocalizations, I'm going to need to figure out how to separate the audio file from the video file in order to analyze it in the acoustic software program I use called PRAAT (PRAAT likes .wav files).

When I make audio recordings using my Marantz recorder and directional mic, I always record in mono format because I am often recording animals that are moving through their environment. When I analyze the sounds they make, I want it all to be on one track rather than distributed over two as might happen if I were to record in stereo and don't move the mic exactly in step with the animal's movements. Does that make sense? I have never attempted to capture recordings from a video camera before, but I have my sennheiser directional mic hooked up here and I'm video-taping for a different project, so I figured why not also attempt to capture the vocalizations for my work on communication?

That being said, I have a question: The mic and xlr cable set up for both my Marantz and the nxcam only uses one of the inputs at a time. That is, for the Marantz I have an input for "mono" and a separate input for "stereo" - I just use the mono input. Here on the nxcam, I have the two inputs but only one lxr cable that goes to one directional mic ... so how is stereo recording being done? Am I recording in mono by default by only plugging on input into the camera? (Maybe I am missing a fundamental concept about stereo recording on this camera.) See the second attached image to understand what I'm saying about just one input here if I didn't make any sense.

One more question: Would converting the recording to mono in the editor diminish the quality or change the recording itself at all? I have never heard of doing that before.

Thanks so much for your response!

Cora

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jul 18, 2017 at 3:06:44 pm

Thanks for the background.

You have set the switches up properly to match what your marantz has been recording.

Let's defer the question about creating mono in the editor, since this should match what you have been doing.

You should be able to move the next step, which is figuring out how to get the audio from the video.

What I do is simply open up the raw video file in my video editor (Sony Vegas), then tell in to render as a wav file and it saves just the audio. An alternative is to use an audio editor that has the ability to open video files and extract the audio from it. I use Sound Forge for that.

Do you have a video editing or audio editing software that you are planning to use yet? If so, you should be able to test this by recording 5 seconds of yourself on the video camera.

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]