FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony NX-30 .MTS Files have AUDIO GAPS

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Chaney
Sony NX-30 .MTS Files have AUDIO GAPS
on Feb 7, 2017 at 1:24:20 am

I often use this camera for Camera 2 footage. It runs for long times. The camera creates a series of 2+GB files that I need to join.

When I convert the MTS files, I find there are gaps of a few frames between the 2+GB clips.

***Any way to convert .MTS files and preserve everything?***

***I guess it could be that the camera is just not recording those frames when it stops the 2GB file and starts a new one??

Any good conversion tools or procedures out there?

Thank you!!!

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Sony NX-30 .MTS Files have AUDIO GAPS
on Feb 7, 2017 at 1:47:36 am

You have to use the software that Sony gave you with the camera.

When the camera breaks the files into the 2 gig segments, it stores information as metadata in the folder.

If you use the software from sony to capture from the storage device, it automatically adds the missing audio as it joins the clips.

Do not simply copy the mts files from the sd card, or you will never recover the dropped frames.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Feb 7, 2017 at 4:43:42 pm

John,

Thank you very much. When I first got the camera I thought I read that their app was for just Windows (yeah, I'm Mac)
But searching again, I found a mac version. Will try it out later today.

Have a great day, R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Feb 7, 2017 at 7:37:48 pm

Can Sony Content Browser convert .mts -to- H.264 and span (connect) a series of .mts files that represent one long take?

My goal is to convert NX30 .mts files into something that can work well with a few platforms I use, like h.264 or ProRes. Problem was if I need to span a few 2GB files which record one long take, there are -gaps- between files in that long take... about 5 frames.

John suggested I use Sony's Content Browser to import files from the NX30 to my computer.

It did import -but- not into any file I can work with. It creates a series of xml and m2ts files. Rats...

*** Any words of wisdom?****

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Wayne K Rutherford
on Mar 10, 2017 at 1:54:58 pm

I use the Sony software first, on an older PC with NewerTech Voyager S3 hard drive, to copy the files.
Then move the drive to my mac and run edit ready to convert the files.
Works great and creates a backup of the original files.

http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Mar 10, 2017 at 7:02:44 pm

Thank you Wayne. GetIt's another good reason to set up with a Windows machine.

Good news. I just tried using Final Cut 7 to Log and Transfer the footage and it worked! All the separate clips within the shot were joined and of course the audio was consistent. Great. I just got out of the habit of using FCP to ingest material once I started pre-processing camera files with other apps. Good ol' FCP!

-Ralph

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]