FORUMS: list search recent posts

FS700R crop factor with FF lens

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
enrique bartolo
FS700R crop factor with FF lens
on Nov 7, 2016 at 9:41:32 pm
Last Edited By enrique bartolo on Nov 8, 2016 at 2:41:02 am

Hello, I have a Zeiss Loxia 35mm E-mount Full Frame lens and I want to use it with a Fs700r, but the fs700r has a super 35 sensor and it would give a crop factor of 1.5 I believe. Which means it'll turn my 35mm into a 52mm. Therefore, I'm assuming the 52mm crop will happen if aspc mode is on. So will it still have notciable vignette if aspc mode is off even though the lens is bigger than the sensor?

I also heard that the fs700r has a full frame mode?

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
Re: FS700R crop factor with FF lens
on Dec 16, 2016 at 2:48:14 am

First......the FS700 will NOT, NOT, NOT 'turn a 35mm into a 52mm.' Any 35mm lens,
(no matter if it is a APSC 35mm or a FF 35mm) will look the exact same on
a FS700. The only rationale behind 'crop factor' is to relate all lenses to
the field of view of a full frame camera. Which you don't need to do, unless you
are a 5D shooter. So a 35mm lens on a FS700 will look similar to a 52mm lens on a 5D,
but any 35mm lens will look the same on the FS700 (with one exception noted below.)
There is no 'APSC crop mode' on the FS700.....it is by nature a Super 35 chip, which is
basically APSC sized. You can't 'turn this crop off', because this is the native size of the sensor.

*Exception
You can use a Speedbooster/focal reducer which will allow you to use full frame lenses
on the FS700. This adapter is 'sort of' the opposite of the 'doubler' which used to be on many
news broadcast cameras. The doubler gave you twice the reach, at the expense of losing a stop
of light. The Speedbooster, gives you a wider field of view....and you gain a stop. What this basically
means, is that you can use a full frame lens on a FS700.....and get the field of view that you would get
on the full frame camera, plus you get an extra stop. If you try to use an APSC lens on a Speedbooster,
you would get a vignette, but not the other way around.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]