FORUMS: list search recent posts

footage breaking into files

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Hiebert
footage breaking into files
on Aug 14, 2010 at 6:46:11 pm

I have no idea if this is even close to the right forum to be putting this but here goes.

I just got the Sony AX2000 and used it for video court reporting which means that the camera is often doing one long continuous shot. For my clients needs, I only need to shoot in SD. When I go into the camera to watch the footage, I have one thumbnail which plays the file properly. When I go to copy the file to my computer for editing, there are numerous mpg files that make up the footage. For some strange reason, when I look at the footage from computer, there is about a 1/2 second break where the footage seems to be lost between each of these files..............really not good for court. Other than a realtime capture, how can I get these files to playback in their entirety?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Olanrewaju Olakunle
Re: footage breaking into files
on Aug 14, 2010 at 8:58:18 pm

have you tried coping with software that comes with the camera?

Spirit

Return to posts index

Dave Hiebert
on Aug 15, 2010 at 2:24:06 am

I finally got to talk to someone at Sony and was told that this is how this camera operates. It is not a flaw in its operation.....but I would say that it is a flaw in its design. At any rate, I was told that I will always lose a few frames at the 2 gig mark. Nice to know NOW.....now that I've already purchased this hog.
Boy does that suck.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Aug 17, 2010 at 4:25:36 pm

David,

Since you are doing court reporting, you are probably using a visible timecode.

Are you dropping a frame or two at the boundaries, or half a second? That would be 15 frames.

What editor are you using to create the one video DVD?

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Dave Hiebert
on Aug 17, 2010 at 4:34:30 pm

It happens when you reach the two gig mark and the camera writes the existing footage to a file and starts the new file....so its at the beginning of the new file and interestingly enough, it is different each time. Sometimes its only a few frames other times its up to 15 frames. I put it together in Premiere CS5.

As I had stated in an earlier post, Sony told me that this is the way the camera operates and is not considered a malfunction.

Sigh...............

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Aug 17, 2010 at 5:40:03 pm

Don't give up yet.

It is indeed the design to segment the files into 2 gig. I doubt it is the design to drop a random amount of frames.My theory is that the randomness has to do with where the I frame is compared to the calcuted frames in each GOP at the end of each 2 gig segment.

People have reported that in some cases different editors handle that join function better than others.

You may want to
1. Try joining the files using the software that came with the camera.
2. Try laying out the files in a different editor.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Don Greenfield
on Aug 18, 2010 at 2:49:56 pm

I agree with John. If you import the videos using the software that came with your Sony (probably Content Utility Manager) it should combine the videos and audio together so there is a seemless transition. In fact, if you shooting one long continuous shot, then most likely you will only import 1 file because the software will combine all those 2g files into 1 "seemless" file.

At least, that has been my experience with my Sony.

Return to posts index

Dave Hiebert
on Aug 19, 2010 at 4:00:24 pm

Would you look at that? Ha! I assumed that the software with the camera was just a "consumer" entry level transfer program, so I didn't give it much thought. You are right....it worked perfectly!

Seems amazing to me that the Sony rep didn't even ask me how I was transferring the files and stated that it was just the way the camera operated and that there was no way around it.

Thanks so much everyone for your help. I may not have to use this camera as a door stop after all........lol.

Return to posts index

Olanrewaju Olakunle
on Aug 19, 2010 at 8:36:17 pm

well it is nice to hear that the software work out at last!

Spirit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]