FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PXW-Z150 4K XDCAM missing timecode sync

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john lenihan
Sony PXW-Z150 4K XDCAM missing timecode sync
on Apr 21, 2016 at 6:09:20 pm

I just returned from NAB, where I was checking out cameras to add to my Sony NX5U collection.

I want to buy something that supports 4k and bigger sensor than 1/3 inch like the NX5.

Well I spent 2 hours with the folks at the Sony booth and was very dissapointed.

The Sony PXW-Z150 4K XDCAM does not have timecode sync input/output like the nx5u. Since I do a lot of multicam shoots, where I use the timecode to sync them, I was aghast that they took this feature away. I talked with a developer from Japan through an interpreter and he had no idea why it was not included.

My NX5U workflow is to set the cameras to free run timecode. Then set one to the time of day as in 24 hour clock, then for a second connect that master to the other cameras and remove the wire. Then when I pull them into the timeline (Sony Vegas Pro), I tell them to sync by timecode and all camera angles line up.

There is no way you would know that the z150 did not have this feature unless you had the camera in hand. I do NOT recommend this camera.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Steve Hix
Re: Sony PXW-Z150 4K XDCAM missing timecode sync
on Apr 24, 2016 at 3:05:36 pm

I too am considering that camera. Other than the lack of that particular feature (which I wouldn't use anyway) what do you think? What about the lack of 60P recording?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Sony PXW-Z150 4K XDCAM missing timecode sync
on Apr 25, 2016 at 1:32:44 am

Well, I will tell you compared to the NX5U.

1. It has the exact same chassis. Same layout, ergonomics, etc. Viewfinder, etc.
2. It has a zoom ratio of about 13 to 1 compared to 20 to 1 with NX5. This comes from reducing the maximum zoom. So the wide angle is the same, but it doesn't zoom as much as the 5.
3. It has a 1 inch sensor, verses the NX5 1/3 inch. So the Bokeh should be better. I tried to see that in the booth, but really since I didn't have the nx5 with me, it is hard to compare this particular item.
4. It records to regular SD cards, same as nx5
5. Low light seemed about the same, but I couldn't compare it.
6. It does have face detection, which nx5u did not have, so this is a big improvement.

So, it is a compromise of sort. I predict it will be as durable as the nx5u.

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]