FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting in UK, Far East and USA shutter speed/Hz question

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Smith
Shooting in UK, Far East and USA shutter speed/Hz question
on Oct 10, 2015 at 5:48:27 pm

Hello all. Forgive me if this question is answered elsewhere - but as usual I am racing the clock.

I will be shooting with the same camera (Sony HXR NX5U) in the US, the UK, Singapore and Australia.

I will be using fluorescent lights so I will need to cycle between 50hz and 60hz on the camera to avoid flicker.

I will be shooting 30p so what shutter speed should I use for the 50hz counties?

Also - any thoughts on how to conform the video on a Premiere timeline. Will the video shot at 50hz need to be reformatted/processed before editing?

Many thanks... and apologies again if listed elsewhere.

Adrian S

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Shooting in UK, Far East and USA shutter speed/Hz question
on Oct 10, 2015 at 7:13:36 pm

If I were you, I would just shoot it at 30 p everywhere.

In terms of the shutter speed, you could analyse it, but I always end up experimenting. Not all fluorescent is the same I have discovered.

When you get to the unknown location, record something white with 1/30 of a second shutter speed. Then click to faster, faster, faster until you are about 1/250. You will find some shutter speeds will cause a quick flicker effect, some will give you a slow variation between brighter or darker over the period of about 5 seconds. You should be able to see this in your monitor. If not, rewind and review it again.

Then find one that gives you the least amount of problems given that you have enough light to use.

Repeat this everytime you are in a new set of lights, if you can.

Once you get familiar with how the various lights and speeds look in your monitor, you will be able to realize when it is happening to you.

Theory:
Some lights use pulse wave modulation to change intensity, and a slow shutter speed is better.

Some types of lights, like mercury vapor, have choppiness at 3 times the power voltage.

And it many cases, you will have a mixture of light types, all doing their own thing.

john

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]