FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on NX70U shooting technique

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wendy Wilson
Advice on NX70U shooting technique
on Sep 11, 2015 at 2:50:06 pm

Hey folks...I've done a search, but haven't found anything that helps yet. Will keep looking, in the meantime...

I'm a former broadcasting student, so have some video knowledge, but it's very outdated (by like...15 years. Sigh), My knowledge of today's camera is pretty non existent and what I do remember from school, is pretty much just about technique, not about settings and tech camera stuff.

Sooooo....I have this opportunity to get back into the video world, which is my absolute dream. The opportunity is to help shoot an indoor cd release performance. I'll just be responsible for B roll, but I'm super worried about getting the sound quality right and the lighting right. Any suggestions on settings that I should use? (there's an external Rode mic as well).

I should mention that I've played around with the camera and with lighting equipment etc and I've got it down for basic interviewing, but this opportunity obviously requires a special touch.

That said, I should also say that this will not be a paid gig. It's for a friend who knows I want to retrain myself, so he's giving me a chance to do just that. If the footage isn't usable, then it's not usable, but obviously that's not an option in my brain.

While I'm here, I'd like to ask if you could point me to certain articles, websites, courses etc that would help me with retraining myself at home on a Sony NX70U (I get to borrow it for however long I need!). There's so much info out there on video production, I find it pretty overwhelming and feel like I'm wasting a lot of time.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!!

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Advice on NX70U shooting technique
on Sep 11, 2015 at 7:42:00 pm

Here is my advice.

Do the shoot for practice about 10 times and look at the results 10 times before the real deal.

Keep a notebook and try different shots.
1. shallow depth of field. set the aperature manually to wide, try some objects that you can demonstrate depth of field.
2. Try slowing moving the camera handheld so see if you can do that smoothly.
3. Get a subject and try various lighting. Front light, side light, back light. Then try different automatic settings and see how that come out.

As you are recording talk to tell yourself what you are doing to the controls so you can later understand the difference in the editor.

As you make various changes, read the manual for that button.

Before the real shoot, you should know every button on the camera, and what it does to the camera.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Wendy Wilson
Re: Advice on NX70U shooting technique
on Sep 14, 2015 at 2:52:08 pm

Thanks so much for your reply, John. All good advice and it's exactly what I plan to do :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]