FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony CX730 audio question

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ray verhoef
Sony CX730 audio question
on Apr 6, 2015 at 9:19:43 am

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a small cam for shooting a documentary in a country where I don't want to attract too much attention. I was looking into the Sony HXR NX30, but those seem a bit overpriced. I was also looking into the Sony CX 730. This cam seems almost identical to the NX30. Any thoughts on that?

But I need professional audio inputs which the CX730 doesn't have. Is it possible to attach a Beachtek XLR adapter to this cam so I can have the same audio quality as the NX30?

If I buy a used CX730 for around US 500 and buy the XLR adapter and mic I will spending a lot less then a new NX30.

Any thoughts and info on this plan?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Sony CX730 audio question
on Apr 6, 2015 at 2:10:41 pm

Here are my thoughts.
1. Spec wise, they do seem similar.
2. Using an xlr adapter can work, but you have to test it first. The reason is the following.
a. The consumer sony camera may have only automatic levels, with no ability to change the audio levels.
b. The xlr adapter may not power your condensor microphone.
c. The pin out of the microphone input on the consumer connector, tip, ring, sleeve may be different than the xlr adapter is expecting. I assume the microphone input on the consumer camera is mono, and will put it on both channels, you probably want to use both channels of audio separately sometime.
3. The consumer camera may not have manual focus, which could be a problem in many situations.

Overall, if you are traveling to another country and investing that kind of money, I would make sure my camera could handle all the situations I might unexpectly have. If possible, buy both cameras, test them at home for a couple of days, then send one of them back.

Then use your new camera in every type of situation and look at the results----Before you travel to the location to shoot.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

ray verhoef
Re: Sony CX730 audio question
on Apr 8, 2015 at 7:05:49 am

Thanks for your clear answer! Maybe I just have to look for the NX30

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved