FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to record directly to PC with NX5U ?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Lee
How to record directly to PC with NX5U ?
on Mar 28, 2015 at 3:35:55 pm

The NX5U has connectors for...
- Composite Video Output
- HDMI Out
- Component Video Out
- USB connector

Question 1:
To use this output to record directly to the computer I guess you would buy a HDMI capture card or external unit... right? If so can you make some suggestions of which we should consider.

Question 2:
Can you just use the USB to record live to a computer? Does it save as AVCHD or what? Any issues with that if it works?

thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: How to record directly to PC with NX5U ?
on Mar 28, 2015 at 3:59:18 pm

Sure you can record from the output of the camera.

All those ways work but not the USB. The usb won't send the signal.

HDMI and SDI can output high definition. Component and composite only standard definition.

Regarding which recording device, there are a wide variety depending on form factor, small or large, battery or wall powered, multiple camera inputs or not. And whether it works with the software you are trying to use it with on your computer, for instance, just recording, or live switching, or web streaming.

I have used the atomos shogun as a standalone recorder, without the PC.

john

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: How to record directly to PC with NX5U ?
on Apr 1, 2015 at 5:32:23 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Pulera on Apr 1, 2015 at 5:35:23 pm

John is right, USB will not output live video, must use HDMI or analog. Slight correction, Component video WILL output 1080i if camera supports it, not limited to SD (Composite and S-Video are SD-only).

On a PC desktop, the BlackMagic Intensity Pro will work if you have an open PCI-e slot to put it in. Provides capture from HDMI or analog sources, plus output as well. Records as uncompressed or "Motion-JPEG" .avi - you will want to use the latter for sure, as uncompressed HD files require expensive drive arrays and are unnecessarily large.

Most cameras will send video direct from sensor to HDMI output before it ever gets compressed to camera format, so output is 4:2:2 uncompressed. Then you record to a 4:2:2 format with Intensity and really keep the quality up.

The Matrox MXO2 Mini is another capture device I rely on myself. Costs more, but provides a nice aluminum desktop breakout box, plus if you edit with Premiere it includes several plug-in effects.

EDIT: I'll second John's motion to look at Atomos, I use Ninja 2 and it works great to record HDMI source to ProRes 422, ready to edit.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]