How to adjust exposure (Nex 5t)

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melinda Jimenez
How to adjust exposure (Nex 5t)
on Nov 15, 2014 at 2:57:29 am
Last Edited By Melinda Jimenez on Nov 15, 2014 at 3:12:14 am

Hello everyone,

First let me just say that I am no pro when it comes to cameras. I have basic knowledge and learn with research or trial and error.
I normally film videos for YouTube using a stellar ring light that sits about 2 ft away from me (I dont have much space) and have noticed that my exposure has been making my highlights extremely bright, for ex: my forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin are super bright or if i'm holding something white or light blue, the color is completely washed out. I notice it happens when my camera focuses on something other than myself, for ex: i am showing a product up close, my cam darkens the background, then I put the product down and my face becomes super bright then takes a few seconds to tone down. I don't know if I need to adjust white balance? or if it's the AF? I just want to be able to sit, click record, and have everything work(if possible). and If any one can help with settings, i'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance! FYI, I work in the beauty industry and focus on makeup, skincare, etc. and use sony vegas pro 12 for editing.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: How to adjust exposure (Nex 5t)
on Nov 15, 2014 at 2:40:45 pm

The light meter and automatic exposure work by averaging all the light coming from the scene, then sets the exposure for that average.

You have two options.
1. Use AS (also called AE by Sony) to a minus setting. This way you can overide the Automatic Exposure and make it darker.

2. Set up the scene, then turn the exposure to manual and darken the exposure manually until you get the exposure you want.

If you are the shooter and the subject, this is best done with a stand in. That is a person with the same tone and brightness as you the subject will be. Set the exposure for that person, then substitute yourself.

john

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Melinda Jimenez
Re: How to adjust exposure (Nex 5t)
on Nov 23, 2014 at 8:26:34 pm

Thanks for this. I've normally used auto or intelligent auto mode when recording and notice the exposure is worse in those settings. I started using program auto which sets shutter speed and aperature but allows me to change iso & exposure. So i did exactly what u said and adjusted everything while i stood in front of the camera. I now notice that i can do close ups on a product and when i put it down, I'm no longer excessively bright! Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]