FORUMS: list search recent posts

NX5 for soccer

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Riding
NX5 for soccer
on Jul 6, 2014 at 11:25:00 am
Last Edited By Tom Riding on Jul 6, 2014 at 3:35:20 pm

I bought a hvr z7e for soccer/football but the autofocus hunts a lot so i am going to sell that and get a replacement.

Have seen Michael Johnsons NX5 high school footage and it rocks. I am considering an Ex1 too.

So which of the NX5 and EX1 is best for fast sports and will not hunt when zooming with the AF?

Any other recommendations? a cannon ahx1 with a mcr1k? a cannon xf305? a sony mc2000e?

Anyone who shoots sports and is happy with their set up let me have their opinions?

Also there will be some low light shooting under floodlights which range from excellent to a bit dark.

I really dont want to shoot manual so any advice will be great.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: NX5 for soccer
on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:29:04 pm

Tom,

I have nx5u and I shoot a lot of soccer with it and it works great.

However, I shoot in a very practiced manner when I shoot these games. There may be some things that you could change to decrease the hunting of any camera that you have.

1. I shoot from the mid field line unless it is a multicam shoot.
1b. I do not fast zoom in or out.
2. I do not loose view of the ground when the ball goes into the sky.
3. In fact, if the ball goes high out of my view, I zoom out slowly and follow the horizontal movement of the ball, but let the ball stay out of frame. When it comes back in frame, I am already reasonable zoomed in to pick up the receiving player.
4. When go to a corner kick, I have the zoom such that I just move the camera horizontally toward the goal when it is kicked.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:30:55 pm

Hi John i'm very experienced filming football so i already do a lot that you mention.

My post was due the fact i bought a z7 and played with it at home but it was hunting and out of focus a lot, this worried me.

Having seen Michael Johnson's HS Football footage on the NX5 it looks like the auto focus is good on that as he zooms from the halfway and it stays in focus.

You think i would have no focus issues on a NX5? the shallow depth of field worries me as the background blurring would ruin the video. If you think the auto focus will be fine i may get it especially if i get some tips from yourself or Michael.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:14:35 pm

Tom,

I can say that I use the NX5 for soccer and get great results.
If you shoot like me, you will too.

Regarding the shallow depth of field, that is a function that you control. If you shoot in the day time and want lots of depth of field, then manually set the aperture to a something somewhere in the 6 to 9 range. Or even f11. Of course, with any camera, the more you zoom, the shallower the depth of field. If you shoot under the lights, you will need a little more light and may have to open your aperture a little more.

Personally, I set my speed to 1/250 for good still and slowmo and let my aperture be automatic.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:10:49 pm

John

Thanks for that

I've always shit with a point and shoot prosumer camera so although i'm very good at filming football, the better cameras worry me that when using autofocus that it will blur and hunt.

You are giving me confidence to go for it.

I have a game tomorrow night i might even take the Z7 out but its under floodlights and ive never used the camera. I love the look of the NX5, would you suggest that it will be a better bet than the z7?

I am not worried about losing a little bit of money by selling the z7 and buying the NX5.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:31:39 pm

My recommendation is to never shoot for money with a camera you have never used.

If I were you, I would try out the camera you own today at a game so you can review how it behaves. Try various settings, and verbalize what you are doing while shooting so that you can identify each sub experiment when you get back home.

I see you have an hdv camera which I believe is tape based. I would never ever recommend a tape camera to anyone anymore, pro or amatuer.

If you are able to get the nx5 and can take both to the same game, not for profit, then you can shoot first half with one camera and second half with second camera.

It takes getting used to a given cameras strengths and weaknesses before you get really excellent results under all the various conditions you will have. Such as sun setting behind the goal, rain, snow, sunshine, fog, night lights, etc.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:39:56 pm

Thats great

Yep the z7 is tape based but i have a cf flash recording unit too so its file based, i hate tape.

Have had an offer for my Z7 which means i can get the NX5 for almost the same money.

Slightly scared as the footage is great from the prosumer camera 28mbps 50fps avchd very very clear even slow mo but i aspire to be better. I think the NX5 will help me but i need to hit the ground running and at least be able to provide clear non blurry/shallow DOF and no poorly autofocused footage at the start while i get to learn the camera, thats my only fear.

I do have 2 or 3 games where i have a free hit to try out things.

Thanks for your help John.

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
on Jul 14, 2014 at 3:31:01 pm

Went pretty well with the Z7, no hunting issues, just the video was a bit blown and need to get the settings/profiles right for the different conditions such as sunny or evening under lights..

Think i will be happy with this camera.

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:11:39 pm

Hi John

Just an update, after shooting with the Z7 i didnt like the HDV format or the footage although its obviously a decent camera.

What i did next was to buy an EX1R and i have to say it is stunning. Have spent a few weeks testing and also looking at Doug Jensen's videos and on line forums and i love it.

Low light is footage is superb, it handles panning fine and i am absolutely delighted with it.

So far i have only used 1280 50fps but i have read that i should test 50i 1920x1080 for fast motion filming so will test that this week.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:30:34 pm

Thanks for the update.

I am glad you like the ex1R. It is definitely a league higher than the NX5U.

I am glad you got rid of the hdv. That was a transition format and not something to buy now.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]