FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I configure AVID MC 6.5 to capture from Sony NX5U?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Fragola
How do I configure AVID MC 6.5 to capture from Sony NX5U?
on Dec 24, 2013 at 1:03:44 am

Hello,

I'm hoping that I'm just overlooking something minor here ... and that I'm a mere few clicks away in a settings menu/configuration to getting my AVID MC 6.5 to be able to then capture from my Sony NX5U ...

I went into my "settings" in my AVID project window and selected "Deck Configurations" (like I used to do for my Canon) ... but there in no NX5U as an option under the "Sony" menu ... so now I'm baffled ... what do I do now? ...

As then when I open my capture tool in my AVID interface, although everything is plugged in (camera to tower), it's saying that there is no deck present??

I'd be very grateful if someone can walk me through the few steps to getting my AVID MC 6.5 to capture from my Sony NX5U ...

And what is totally baffling is that this usually takes like 10 seconds to configure (via my experience with my older AVID and my older Canon cameras) ...

But as of now, I'm totally stuck in no-mans land ... and I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks ... and happy holidays.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: How do I configure AVID MC 6.5 to capture from Sony NX5U?
on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:03:14 pm

Hi Dean,

One doesn't "capture" from a tapeless camera. Capture refers to ingesting from a video source in realtime, either using Firewire or a capture card. While playing the video from camera/deck, the video signal is saved to the computer hard drive.

If your camera has a USB connection, that is for TRANSFER of data. That would allow you to copy the digital files over to the computer for editing, typically faster than realtime. Better yet, pull out the SD card and use a card reader attached to the computer.

Copy the ENTIRE contents of the SD card to a folder on the computer, and then import the video clips into your NLE. There is important data on the card besides the video clips themselves, so don't try to pick-and-choose what files to save, copy whole SD card and avoid potential headaches later.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Dean Fragola
on Jan 7, 2014 at 1:24:47 am

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much ... as you just enabled me to go from what I thought was the "impossible", to the "very simply and easy" ...

As you were totally right ... as I just plugged the camera into the tower via USB ...

And then on the computer screen appeared a box asking me if I wanted to import from the "device found" ... so I just clicked on that ... and then footage from the camera/card automatically uploaded onto my computer and made its own folder on my desktop ... and then I just imported that right into AVID.

What do I now do with the footage on the memory card? ... how do I erase a memory card so I can re-use it?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 7, 2014 at 3:30:34 pm

Hi Dean,

When working with SD cards, it's always a very good idea to make backups of your data before erasing the memory card. I shoot HDV, so the tape gets captured to the computer and if I lost a hard drive, I could always just re-capture the tape again. With memory cards, if you copy to hard drive, erase card, and then the HD fails, that footage is gone forever!

Most users will make TWO copies of the footage on two different hard drives (an external for instance as backup) before erasing the card. Also a good idea to verify that copied data is not corrupted (there is software available that will verify the integrity of the backup).

To "erase" the card, the best way typically is just to FORMAT in the camera. Never format using the computer or other devices, do it in the camera for proper compatibility. There will be a format option in the camera menu. Formatting is preferred to simply "deleting" the files.

Everyone has their own workflow and backup scheme that they are comfortable with, but come up with some plan and be diligent about it to avoid headaches. I have tape cameras but on occasion have rented/borrowed AVCHD cameras for large events and backing up the data overnight between events was nerve-wracking. Was difficult to hit the FORMAT button for the SD card - is ALL the data saved, AND backed up?? Tape does it it's benefits!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gregg Hawks
on Apr 24, 2014 at 1:37:27 pm

I have had a problem with the files dropping a frame or two at the intersection of files occasionally. I understand that the files contain Meta Data that is important that may contain that meta data. How do I get the entire contents of the files on import?

Return to posts index

Gregg Hawks
on Apr 29, 2014 at 1:33:50 pm

Hi Jeff,
This may explain why I occasionally get a skipped frame between files. It looks like it drops a frame or two between files. So in the future I should copy the entire contents of the folder to the NLE (Avid) and then import the individual files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]