FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony NX5U Log & Transfer - timecode issues

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Fox
Sony NX5U Log & Transfer - timecode issues
on Mar 6, 2010 at 5:23:06 pm

I just purchased 3 of the Sony NX5U cameras to replace my aging PD170's. One of the features on the NX5U, I hoped would be helpful is the ability to sync the time code on all of the cameras when doing multi cam jobs. This works great, but unless I'm doing something wrong, when I log & transfer the clip's, the time code is reset to start at 00:00:00;00, on each clip, losing the time code the camera has stored on the clips. I went back to the camera and checked the clip and the time code is correct

At this point I have to hand sync the clips for multi cameras.

Am I missing something or is this normal that FCP does not hold the time code on the clip?

I am transcoding to ProRess 422

FCP 7.0.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
Re: Sony NX5U Log & Transfer - timecode issues
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:21:24 pm

Steven,
I don't have this issue with my Panasonic AVCHD camera. My first question would be, do you see the original time code in the browser of the Log and Transfer window? For instance in the media start column. Above the browser on the far right, you will see a button, click on this button and then click on revert to original metadata. I'm not sure this will work but it is worth a try.
Don Walker

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Stephen Fox
on Mar 7, 2010 at 12:50:22 am

Hi Don,

The browser window shows start times for every clip at 00:00:00;00. I tried the revert to original metadata but nothing happened. with the media back in the camera the time code shows up fine for the clips.

Steve

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:17:18 pm

I am in the same situation.

I just bought two NX5's to replace my pd170s also and have the same problem.

I cannot get the free run timecodes to come into the vegas 9.0C in order to lay out the multicam tracks by timecode.

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.LeniCamVideoProductions.com

John Lenihan

http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:27:53 pm

I have an nxcam and just did that as well.

all clips at 00 instead of starting at hour 7.

damn.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Mar 18, 2010 at 7:50:26 pm

The Sony tech support person Seth, in New Jersey has reported back to me that he has duplicated the problem, and is working the the product group to solve it.

I will keep you posted as he keeps me posted.

He confirms the timecode is in the camera clip, but when it is transferred to a computer, the timecode doesn't come.

He tried FCP, Vegas pro, and the utility software that came with the camera.

John Lenihan

htp://www.lenicam.com

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Marty Lucas
on Mar 20, 2010 at 7:06:19 pm

Hi Folks,

Just chipping in with the same problem. I have tried chip in SD card reader, and chip in camera via USB and get the same issue every time.

I look forward to hearing what Sony comes up with. Why have a camera with TC in/out if it doesn't wind up on the media?

Marty Lucas
martinlucas.net

Return to posts index

Marty Lucas
on Mar 20, 2010 at 8:10:51 pm

Hi NXCAM users,

I have done a series of tests using the various timecode options (free run, preset to different numbers, etc.) What I have not done is try recording onto a Sony Memory Stick; I'm using a 16GB Fuji SDHC chip. The manual shows that the file structure for the AVCHD media is different on the two chips.

Hmm...

Marty

Return to posts index

Brian Baade
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:56:29 pm

Just got off the phone with Sony and there is indeed an issue with Final Cut and the avchd format. Sony's response was both parties are aware of it but couldn't give any more info about timeframe for any plug ins or updates or even if either was working on one. So as of now looks like timecode is useless for FCP users.

Return to posts index

Marty Lucas
on Mar 24, 2010 at 4:44:07 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. Do you have any ideas about workarounds? Has anyone had luck ingesting with other programs to get QT files with TC and then importing them?

best,

Marty

Return to posts index

Brian Baade
on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:20:59 pm

Tried clipwrap (demo version) last night but no dice on timecode either. Guessing it's probably going to be the same as P2 and EX clips when they first came out, PC only at first then they'll finally get around to an update once more cameras get shipped. My suggestion would be for everyone to keep contacting Apple and Sony until one of them finally gets an update released.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:39:29 pm

I would like us to focus our efforts at the right place, so I will reitterate.

This is a sony camera issue. Not fcp.

It doesn't work with Vegas either and the sony tech support guy confirmed the time code doesn't make it to the pc even with the software included with the camera.

I agree, keep after sony camera for now until even that works, then go after apple.

John lenihan

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Brian Baade
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:49:33 pm

John-
Hey, sorry guess I skipped over your post about Vegas issue, I was doing the mega search yesterday and read numerous posts. You must have had a more well informed rep than who I spoke with, I was told the Sony software/Vegas combo worked fine and it was an Apple issue so to talk with them.

Good to know (sortof) it's across the board, hopefully Sony will address it sooner than later.
Not sure if it will help but this is the link if anyone else wants to submit questions/issues to Sony.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/services.servicesprograms.bbsccms-services-ser...

Return to posts index

Brian Baade
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:04:05 pm

Hate to keep with the FCP only issue but seems as if Sony is confused on what's going on. This is the email response I received today:

Hi Brian,

The TC is embedded in the data stream but FCP does not pick it up during the transcode process. This is expected to be fixed in a future FCP or Pro Application Support update. Unfortunately we have no time frame for this.

Hope this is helpful...

Best regards,

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Mar 25, 2010 at 11:09:26 pm

It sounds like their first instinct is to blow us all off.

Since I am a PC user, using Vegas, they cannot blow me off as quickly.

PC based software utility came with the camera. The tech confirmed, and you can too, that the time code is indeed on the clip in the camera.

However, when I, and the tech, used the very software bundled with the camera to bring the clips from the camera to the pc. The timecode did not come along.

As of this momemnt, the tech has been reaching out to the product guys with this information. As of right now, he said the product guys have not confirmed their duplication of the problem.

My guess is that the will get their pc software ulitity to work first, then tell Vegas software and Apple what they need to know.

So, it is important to push without mentioning vegas or apple, just the pc unility and say that isn't bringing the clips across.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Brian Baade
on Mar 25, 2010 at 8:34:17 pm

Marty-
Hopefully you aren't using FCP, these are the last two responses from Sony:

1)"The TC is embedded in the data stream but FCP does not pick it up during the transcode process. This is expected to be fixed in a future FCP or Pro Application Support update. Unfortunately we have no time frame for this. "

Hope this is helpful...

Best regards,

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

2)"It's a new camera and furthermore one that evolved out of a consumer format (AVCHD). You may want to consider a different pro model like the EX1R or HVRZ7; these have full TC support within all the major NLEs."

...so I contacted Apple Final Cut support, they don't even have the camera on the radar so looks like it's not being addressed. Furthermore was informed if it is a new camera under 6 months old they have to purchase one in order to check compatibility issues.

that being said, if you're using Final Cut your SOL in eyes of Sony- actually same goes for Vegas users as of now. When asked about issues with Vegas response was "That's correct and is also being addressed, most likely in the next 'dot' release of Vegas Pro."

good times

Return to posts index

Ivan George
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:35:02 pm

Final cut seriously blows.... Sony isn't being real helpful either now that I've read Vegas is having issues reading TC. A pro update was released a few days ago, so I take it we won't see another update for months.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Apr 14, 2010 at 6:34:56 pm

Dear FCP users,

I just received a new dot release of Sony Vegas Pro.

It did not fix the timecode issue.

Don't let the sony tech support blame Apple.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Aleixo Goncalves
on Apr 6, 2010 at 11:55:03 pm

Hi everybody,
I have the same problem, so I called Sony and they basically blamed Apple. For me, it's clear that Sony came up with a product that, among other nice features, it's advertised as a camera that work perfectly with FCP. The fact, that they even posted on their website a manual called "Sony NXCAM Product Workflows in Apple Final Cut Pro 7", omitting such important detail like the missing time code or GPS data(no really important, but very advertised), I think it is a mock to their customers. I just hope they react quickly and fix the problem.

Return to posts index

Colin Browell
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:40:36 pm

NX5U does contain timecode in the files that are copied to the PC. DVMP Pro shows the timecode frame by frame. The issue seems to be that other video programs do not read the timecode that is in the file.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Apr 14, 2010 at 6:32:21 pm

Collin,

Please recheck your test. What I have found is the editors will show a timecode but it always begins with zero. In other words, it assumes a timecode since it can't read it.

Here is the test. Put the camera in free run timecode. That is how you have to use it to sync between two cameras.

Now, record a clip. On the camera you will see the timecode beginning at some number other than zero and counting up.

Now get it onto the pc into your program. See if the timecode starts at that same non zero number on the clip.

Thanks

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Colin Browell
on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:02:49 am

"What I have found is the editors will show a timecode but it always begins with zero. In other words, it assumes a timecode since it can't read it."

Yes John, that's exactly what I mean. The timecode *is* there in the file (same as that displayed on the camera) but most programs are unable to read it - so they just use zero.

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
on Jun 16, 2010 at 3:15:15 pm

Premiere CS5 sees the NX5 timecode.

Return to posts index

Blake Mann
on Jul 9, 2010 at 9:50:56 pm

Timecode is transferred when shooting in HD...sadly for me and my staff shooting SD clips and editing on EDIUS, we are all (im)patiently waiting for Sony to correct the problem.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jul 10, 2010 at 2:27:16 pm

Thanks for the update that Edius HD works.

Although SD doesn't work, you are further along than the rest of us.

john

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Mark Van Horn
on Aug 19, 2010 at 5:27:18 pm

FIXED!!!

NEW VERSION OF CLIPWRAP 2.2

New in 2.2

* now parses NX5u timecode
* now exports 6 channel LPCM when rewrapping 5.1 sources
* added audio passthrough option for retaining AC-3
* fixed sync loss on LPCM
* fixed crashes on ppc and 10.5.8

Developer of Video Production
Columbus State Community College
Web: http://www.cscc.edu
Twitter: MVanHorn_CSCC

Return to posts index

Brian Baade
on Oct 2, 2010 at 10:00:13 pm

For Final Cut users the Pro Applications Update 2010-02 seems to have finally addressed and fixed the NX5U timecode issue.

Return to posts index

Attila Kovarcsik
on Apr 24, 2011 at 11:12:20 pm

And what about the GPS data? I cannot even see it on a Windows computer with the given CMU software. Any idea how to see GPS codes on a Mac from NX5? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Zahoor Sakharkar
on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:17:35 am

premiere cs5 does not recognise timecode for avchd files unless I am missing something

Return to posts index

Attila Kovarcsik
on Apr 11, 2012 at 6:02:16 am

CS 5.5 do recognize timecode from NX5 I use it all the time. Though earlier versions did not support it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]