FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting Slow Motion with NX5u

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Keo
Shooting Slow Motion with NX5u
on Aug 2, 2013 at 8:03:34 pm

Hello,

Need to shoot various shots of things falling onto the ground (watermelons, bags of flour, etc.) and would like to do them in slow motion using the NX5u. Is this something I can do in camera? Going to run some tests next week, please let me know if there are particular settings I should try.

Thanks,
Drew

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Shooting Slow Motion with NX5u
on Aug 2, 2013 at 8:40:29 pm

I don't think NX5U is a good camera for slow motion.

The way it does slow motion, or speeded up recording, is to reduce the number of pixels it captures in each frame. If you can live with that like for web stuff, you would be ok.

In any case, you want to shoot high speed, like 1/500 exposure time, progressive. That way each individual picture will be clear.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Shooting Slow Motion with NX5u
on Aug 5, 2013 at 8:57:25 pm

Hi Drew,

As John mentioned, the "slow motion" shooting modes offered on the Sony cameras offer a very low quality, and for short bursts only at that!

You're not going to get the kind of super-slow-motion you see on TV, which is shot with expensive gear shooting hundreds,or even thousands of frames per second!

I see that the NX5U does offer 720p60, so that may be the best solution, and crank up the shutter speed as John mentioned to get clear stop-motion on the fast action.

If you take the resulting 60p footage and put it into a 24p sequence in Premiere, you get very nice slow-motion playback at 40% speed.

Google "creating beautiful slow motion in premiere" for a tutorial

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]