FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording deck for FS100

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angelo Mike
Recording deck for FS100
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:01:32 am

I'm thinking of getting an FS100 soon, but can't seem to find a clear answer online as to what recording deck I should get. I want to shoot to 4:2:2 color if not 4:4:4. I shoot a lot of handheld stuff at events and would like to be able to put the deck in a backpack and walk around with it as well.

My other question is, how much more (if anything) would a deck that records to 4:4:4 cost, and does it make much of a difference considering that it seems like 4:4:4 is best utilized if you're shooting something that requires very meticulous color correction (which almost nothing I do requires)? I do color correction (and a lot of color matching on multicam shoots) on a lot of footage, and it seems like 4:2:2 is more than adequate to handle that. I shoot green screen sometimes as well, but even with my AVCHD camcorder I can key it out pretty well.

The last thing is that it would have to record to a codec that works for Sony Vegas, though fortunately that's most of them.

Edit: These did offer some help. This site said (two years ago) in the comments that 4:4:4 decks are very expensive.

http://firstrespondersnetwork.com/setla/2011/06/04/report-from-cinegear-fs1...

And this says that basically, 4:4:4 isn't necessary for most people, which probably goes for me. But if it was affordable, I would go for it.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/998601

Still wondering about a 4:2:2 deck that records in something Sony Vegas can use. Everything mentions ProRes, which I think Vegas can use after you use a converter to turn it into another codec. But I'd prefer to be able to drop it directly into Vegas.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
Re: Recording deck for FS100
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:08:50 am

One other thing I've come across is that it might be an issue to get 23.97 or 24 fps to an external recorder. Is this true? I read that you can't transfer that over HDMI, so you have to do pulldown on it. Is this the case, and how do you restore it to its original frame rate?

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:11:56 am

The fs100 outputs only 4:2:2 over hdmi and its only 8 bit.

Heres what framerates/resolutions you could record with a ninja attached:

http://atomos.activehosted.com/kb/article/input-sources/cameras/ninja-with-...

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 31, 2013 at 7:23:16 pm

I would second the motion for Atomos Ninja 2. The ProRes codec works fine with NLEs on PC - as long as QuickTime is installed, you already have the codec on the system and just drop the ProRes clips into your editor, no need to convert to anything else.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]