FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rolling Band

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Rolling Band
on Jun 17, 2013 at 8:25:33 pm

Hey Folks, I'm shooting with a NX5U and I have one clip, shot in an office under typical florescents, where some odd banding occurs. Looking at the clip in my NLE I can see horizontal bands slowly moving up the screen. It's a lot like when we would shoot a video camera at an old CRT Television without a sync box. And it is just this one clip shot in one particular room. The rest is fine. Any thoughts? A shutter speed issue perhaps?

NX5U
1080/30p FX

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Rolling Band
on Jun 17, 2013 at 10:19:19 pm

My guess is that you have identified the problem.

The flourescent lights actually turn on and off 30 times per second. If you are shooting at 60 i or 30p, and you are not perfectly synced with them, you will get a banding of brighter or darker moving up the screen.

I find that with 60i it is less pronounced but still there. I find different flourescents have a more or less effect. Maybe the age of the bulbs is newer or older than the rest. Or maybe you had some window light coming in to hide the problem in some shots comapare to the others.

I have found mercury vapor even worse. The kind in hockey stadiums and gyms.

What I have done to minimize the effect going into the place is to try different shutter speeds to find the minimum effect, often I use 1/150 shutter speed.

I have not, however found a way to fix it in post.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: Rolling Band
on Jun 17, 2013 at 11:09:19 pm

OK, good to know. I've been shooting with this camera for a couple years now and this was my first time hitting such an indecent. I will have to keep a closer eye on my LCD screen and look for that now. Thanks for the explanation.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Re: olling Band
on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:01:11 pm

I've had it happen a few times but it was because my shutter was set higher than 1/60 and I didn't change it before shooting under fluorescents. In every instance, the banding did NOT show up on the LCD and I didn't see it until post. It will however show up on high end HD-SDI monitors.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: olling Band
on Jun 25, 2013 at 10:31:23 pm

Good to know Michael, I wondered how I could have missed that in my LCD. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]