FORUMS: list search recent posts

Record in file chapters?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Esposito
Record in file chapters?
on May 30, 2013 at 3:26:29 pm

On my sony hxr nx5u it records to the SD card but approx. every 15 minutes it starts another file chapter. Is there anyway to turn this off for continuous record of 1 file of the whole event? I know the Canon SLR models also will shut off every 12 minutes then you have to push record again so I'm guessing this is something of the norm but I'd rather have 1 long file to the card without having to go video out to an external recorder.

Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for a great forum!
Tony Esposito
http://www.espoproductions.com

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Record in file chapters?
on May 30, 2013 at 4:02:00 pm

Tony,
There is no way to change this, it is a function of the FAT32 file system file size limitation on the SD card.

However,
When you use the software supplied with the camera to bring the files into the computer on a pc, it will concatenate them into one long file. I have shot as long as 5 hours and when it comes into the computer it is one file.

If you use final cut on the mac, then it will concatenate the little files into one big one as you log and transfer.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Tony Esposito
on May 30, 2013 at 5:13:51 pm

Thanks John. I've had one big project I've done since having these cameras and I just place the files in order in the timeline (PC, Adobe)but is that software inside the camera when I export out to keep it all one? I don't mind when I do commercial shoots but the long events I'd rather keep as one long fie.

So an SXS card would be able to record one long file or is it the same?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on May 30, 2013 at 5:23:55 pm

Do not simply place the individual files into the timeline.
I used to do that, thinking I was saving a step in the process. The problem is that at the end of each of those clips, it is missing between 1 and 5 frames. Those frames are stored in the metadata. If you use the sony utility software it creates those frames as it concatenates them, and you are good to go. If you simply place the raw clips from the storage media together you will find yourself dropping frames. You may not notice it unless you are doing multicamera shoots or precise orchestra recordings, but it is there.

The SXS cards do the same. The deal is this FAT32 is the only non proprietary file format. That means, Apple, PC, and Unix can all read them. If they went to a file format that would allow longer files, then they would have to pick Apple or PC or Unix.

john

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Tony Esposito
on May 30, 2013 at 6:19:42 pm

Thanks, I'll look into the Sony camera software, didn't see an article on it here but that seems to be the easiest way to go.

Tony

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on May 30, 2013 at 9:29:55 pm

This doesn't help you Tony because you're on a PC, but for Mac users out there wondering the same thing, Clipwrap works very well to join clips.

Gary

Return to posts index

Tony Esposito
on Jun 5, 2013 at 9:45:46 pm

John, thanks again for the heads up on the Sony CMU software. I installed it and it works great, and it's a lot quicker then just importing the files. Some files that took 2.5 hrs. took 30 mintues in this software.

Anyone else can find it here:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/contentmanager

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:02:38 pm

Hi Tony,

If you edit with Adobe Premiere, then you would actually NOT want to use the Sony software to "join files". The correct method will be to copy the entire contents of the SDHC card to you hard drive. Do not modify the folder structure, copy all as is.

In Premiere, rather than "Import", go to the Media Browser window and select the folder where your clips are. Multiple clips that are part of a longer recording will show up, and import, as ONE large clip, seamlessly!

I just shot six 2.5 hour events over the weekend, to six 32GB cards. I have just six clips in my Premiere projects, though there are no doubt many more than that in the actual folders.

There are NO audio glitches with this method, totally seamless.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]