FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best zoom remote for Sony NXcam?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre Victor
Best zoom remote for Sony NXcam?
on Mar 31, 2013 at 9:48:59 pm

I have a Sony HXR-NX5U and I use it mainly for shooting events from a tripod with a remote. I have the Varizoom VZ-rock remote, but i find that it won't allow me to zoom very slowly. Even with the very lightest touch, the zoom is too fast. I am thinking about buying the Varizoom VZ-Pro L zoom remote, hoping it will give me more ability for very slow zoom. Any feedback would be most welcome.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Best zoom remote for Sony NXcam?
on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:44:03 am

I have a couple each of the Libec ZC-3DV and Sony RM1-BP.

Definitely prefer the Libec, it has a little less play before the zoom "kicks in" and seems to have a softer start and allow slightly slower zooms.

For super slow zooms on my NX5s, I set the little handle zoom switch to fixed and the menu to 1 or 2.

Return to posts index

Pierre Victor
on Apr 1, 2013 at 1:39:07 pm

Thanks for this response. I have my settings exactly like you said and the zoom is still way too fast and too touchy. Even when i use the manual zoom rocker on the camera and try to go super slow, it's too fast. Maybe i will try the Libec though it seems pretty similar to the Varizoom I'm currently using. Maybe this is just a limitation of the NX5U?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:26:06 pm

Are you sure? I'm talking about the little tiny rocker zoom on the top handle, and the switch by it with Off/Var/Fix.

It MUST be in fixed mode, and the menu setting for handle zoom on 1 or 2. If that doesn't give you a super slow, creeping, constant speed, not touchy at all, slow zoom. I'll have to go put a battery on a camera to make sure I'm not missing something or going crazy.

Return to posts index

Pierre Victor
on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:34:31 pm

Oh OK, I just used the tiny rocker on top and in fact it is nice and slow. But I need to be able to get that slow zoom from a zoom remote. Does your remote re-create that slow speed? Mine comes nowhere close. Way too fast and jumpy. i'm willing to spend good money to get a remote that will do this, I make living shooting events on a tripod.
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 1, 2013 at 3:06:44 pm

I just deal with using that little zoom rocker as a dedicated slow-zoomer. Would be nice if a LANC remote would do it.

FWIW, I have the RM1000BP too. It doesn't zoom slow either.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 1, 2013 at 3:10:44 pm

Actually I just tested it, both the RM1BP and the RM1000BP have a zoom speed setting with fast/mid/slow. I guess I forgot about it because I just use the Libecs. The Slow setting gives a nice slow zoom that isn't touchy, crank the rocker to full speed and it is still slow.

Probably just what your looking for.

Return to posts index

Pierre Victor
on Apr 2, 2013 at 12:21:52 pm

Thanks for all of your feedback. This is super helpful! I think I'm going to go with the VZ-Pro L because it seems more sturdy and has a variable speed knob.

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:35:01 pm

I am using the remote control handle from a Sony VCT series tripod for my sony NX30U.. It has a switch on the side called slow zoom that locks the speed into the very slow speed. This can be turned off. Bought a used VCT60AV for $40. It has the av connector not the standard lanc connector. Took the handle off and put it on my good tripod. works great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]