FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended Recording Settings?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Adkins
Recommended Recording Settings?
on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:53:00 pm

I purchased a Sony NX30 for our company to record seminars. I am using a MacBook Pro and iMovie and iDVD. We are either uploading the footage to YouTube or burning DVD's. My question is that I recently recorded a 2 hr seminar, edited, created an iDVD and ready to burn but the project is almost 20 GB. Obviously this will not fit on a standard DVD. I was using the HD Rec Format of1080/60i PS (i believe PS, already made a change to settings and cannot remember for sure) at any rate, I am using a 32GB SD card and I quickly filled it up.

What is a good setting that I can use to get good quality and distribute in the methods I mentioned above? I have tried a couple of the 720/ settings in STD recording and it looks a bit more grainy on my Mac. I am very new to all of this so any thing someone can offer in very basic terms would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Recommended Recording Settings?
on Feb 13, 2013 at 11:49:43 pm

Chris,

Your recording settings are probably fine. Just your render settings.

LESSON 1 Recording: You said you are recording at 1920 x 1080 x 60i. That is a great HD setting. HD recording will take about 13 gig per hour. That is it. If you have one and one half hours, it is 20gig.

You could record in SD mode, that will take up about 6 gig per hour. IF all you are doing is to record and upload to a web site, this may be an attractive option. The reason is to edit and render an SD file is much faster than the HD file.

If there is an option that some day you may want the footage for something other than uploading, you may want to do what you are doing, record in HD. You can downcovert for the web, and later use the HD for a bluray or something.

LESSON 2.
Rendering.
This is the process of producing an output file. There are an infinite number of compressions that can be applied as you render it. These can reduce the size and quality until you get the trade off you like. You will have to experiment. I am not familiar with the consumer editors like imovie, but there must be something that allows you to choose lower bits per second, or smaller image size, or less frames per second. That is both on the video and audio side.

LESSON 3. YOutube
About a year ago, You tube started a different approach and started allowing super large files like 10 to 20gigabytes to be uploaded to their site. You need a good internet connection and it might take all day to upload. Then, youtube will render it in various formats for you to best fit various output devices. They used to have strict rules, now they recommend that you upload the highest quality that you have.

Lesson 4. DVD players do not understand high definition. YOu mentioned that your hd video was 20Gig and how could it fit on a dvd. It can't and a dvd player couldn't play it if it could. That is why you have to put it on a bluray disk, which is 25gigabytes.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]