FORUMS: list search recent posts

This is a really stupid question about AF lenses on the FS700.

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
This is a really stupid question about AF lenses on the FS700.
on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:40:44 pm

Hey guys,

I moved a few months ago from years of DSLR use to the Sony FS700. LOVE IT. That said, I'd been using some different adapters to get my Canon lenses working passably with the FS700, however as everyone knows they don't support autofocus. Great for cinematic work, but the face detection is so awesome with this camera I'd like to have all the tools available to me when dealing with events.

Am I right in assuming that any lens with an E-mount is capable of face detection/autofocus in live video mode? Even the Rokinon and Sigma e-mount lenses? I'd like to have a decent low-light 50mm with good AF capabilities because every friend I have on Earth now wants me to shoot their weddings at 240fps. I'd rather not have to rock the focus all day and night. That hand would prefer to hold a drink!

PS, I'm aware the 1.8 e mount lens is loud on AF. If you have any preferred NEX lenses that handle AF please advise.

Thanks!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: This is a really stupid question about AF lenses on the FS700.
on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:43:56 pm

I'm thinking that the 35mm 1.8 might be good:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10...

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on Feb 18, 2013 at 7:09:08 pm

I've heard good things about that lens.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 22, 2013 at 7:14:13 pm

Yeah, I ended up getting it. It's pretty good - autofocus could be better but for a lens so tiny I've been super pleased at the depth of field.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Severyukhin
on May 12, 2013 at 1:48:57 am

John,
Please advise if you have discovered any other lenses with good AF for the event shooting?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 16, 2013 at 7:27:01 pm

You know, I shot a wedding in early March with some of these lenses on a steadicam style vest rig. I had mixed results. I wouldn't say the AF is super fast by any means, but sometimes in a run n gun situation you deal with what you get, you know?

I did end up getting a Rokinon 85mm with manual aperture adjustment and the cine ring built in. I got the canon mount as we have an adapter that's pretty solid. The cine ring is great for follow focus.

You can also try the 19mm and 30mm Sigma set that came out from B&H a few months ago. I love how little these lenses are - much easier to carry around in a pocket for quick switching.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]