FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony HXRNX5U for weddings ?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Soumendra Jena
Sony HXRNX5U for weddings ?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 10:32:50 am

Hi.. We wedding cinematography story telling videos , very short and unique ones. We have been using 5D mark III for long now and are quite satisfied , but lately we have been getting requests for long videos from clients as well, who has long rituals. I dont want to tire my 5D Mark III sensor by using it as a dedicated video camera , so looking for a replacement, without compromising the quality and resolution.

After doing a bit of research of the same price range, I found Sony HXRNX5U to be somewhat similar in specs .

Full HD, Aperture widest at 1.6 , records to SDHC cards, HDMI output, external mic , AC power , auto focus, etc .

But Im looking for some real time footages taken with this product , or real time reviews from wedding videographers who use this model .

So let me know, if its performance and output matches 5D Mark III or excels it or not.

Also, if its the best replacement right now.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Sony HXRNX5U for weddings ?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 5:10:39 pm

I shoot weddings every week with the nx5u and recommend it for weddings. It is much easier to use than a Canon Mark anything for this purpose.

Will the quality be as good? Much of that depends on the shooter. It has a 20 x optical zoom so you can stand out of the way like in the back of the venue. And as the bride and groom leave you can widen up to come toward you.

With the FM128 attachement, you can record about 12 hours of HD.

If you want to see some samples.
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com/weddings

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Jan 8, 2013 at 5:34:07 pm

Hi John,
Thanks a lot from your reply.

So, all that shallow DOF, the color profile, low light shooting can give the same performance like we get in Canon 5D Mark III or better ?

I would be more than happy then!

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jan 8, 2013 at 7:17:51 pm

No,

Every camera has its own unique characteristics. I did not mean it is better than the Canon Mark III at all things. I meant that a good shooter knows his equipment and knows how to leverage strengths and minimize weaknesses.

The NX5 is not a large format sensor and therefore you can always get better DOF effects with the Mark III. However, with the Mark III you can at best get a 3, 4, or 5 x zoom lens, so you have to be standing pretty close to the bride and groom.

The nx5 does have picture profile and the low light was a little better than the mark II that I compared it with. I have not compared it to a Mark III. However, the comparison has to be made at the same lens length. Since the Sony can zoom to a much longer length, it is easy for it to appear grainy in dark situations with full zoom.

My take on things was that the Mark II wa better for shots I could control and direct like shooting commercials and interviews. The NX5 U was better at live events where I had no control.

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Jan 9, 2013 at 4:28:28 am

I understand that.

Ok, how does the results look while at 20x zoom ?

Any bad ?

Also, NX widest aperture is f1.6, right ?

So, it should be great at DOF as well in good lights ?

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 9, 2013 at 3:36:08 pm

Here is another camera that might fit your needs and still allow you to use your cannon lenses with an adaptor. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887069-REG/Sony_nex_ea50h_Sony_NEX_EA...

By the way, you won't tire your sensor. The 5D's will hold up for a long, long, time.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jan 9, 2013 at 4:14:04 pm

I agree with Brent.

If I were looking for a new camera today I would seriously consider the new Sony model he mentioned rather than the nx5.

It only has a 10 x zoom, but it is changeable. And the autofocus specs look better.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 10, 2013 at 1:18:30 am

Like John, if I was shopping for a camera right now, I'd look for a newer model. While I'm quite happy with my four NX5's, you might find the small 1/3" sensor rather limiting vs the 5D when going for shallow DOF in live event situations (not that I've done any comparisons). Also the auto focus is notoriously reffered to as "anti-face detection".

That Sony NEX EA50 looks pretty sweet, if it had SDI output I'd replace one of my NX5s with it in a heartbeat. If you don't need the HD-SDI, I say go for it. APS-C sensor, E-mount, 1080p 60, SDHC and FMU128, and this little paragraph from B&H-

"To accommodate Sony's first E-mount lens with servo zoom, the NEX-EA50UH sports a rocker-style zoom lever. The rocker zoom is a familiar feature for long-time camcorder users, but those who are familiar with interchangeable lens systems may wonder, what good is a zoom lever if you're using a prime lens or a manual zoom? Sony's answer to that question is a lossless digital zoom. The effect is achieved by cropping the image sensor in real-time, which changes the angle-of-view with no sacrifice in resolution. This is possible because the sensor has a native resolution that’s much higher than 1080p to begin with."

After thinking about this camera while I type, I'm seriously thinking about replacing one of my NX5s with the NEX-EA50 and getting an AJA HA-5 or similar for SDI to my Panasonic Switcher. Time for more research...

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:49:43 am

YOU GUYS JUST MADE MY DAY!!

I always wanted a camcorder, which would allow me to attach my Canon lenses. I own a variety of Canon L lenses and they are super awesome with my 5D Mark III .

IM sure, this camcorder would perform awesome as well.
I just watched their Youtube tour video and its superb results.

Im looking to order it this week only, without looking for any other options.

What kind of limitations has it got , in case I want to know, before I order ?

Another stupid question :
Lets say, I have to cover a 1-2 hours long video. What amount of storage should I keep as backup ?

I have no idea about AVCHD storage and compression, so asking.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:33:44 am

You mind linking to that video?

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:07:07 am

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:15:35 pm

Ok I just bought it. Should have it in next 3 days . Directly ordered it from Sony India. :)

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:45:02 pm

Awesome! I'm really interested in hearing what you think about it and in seeing any test shots if you're willing to post.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jan 11, 2013 at 5:19:52 pm

Let us know how it works for you.
John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved