FORUMS: list search recent posts

HXR-NX5U Firmware Update

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Martinez
HXR-NX5U Firmware Update
on May 27, 2010 at 6:42:03 pm

Hello,

User Firmware Update Ver. 2.0 is now available on the NXCAM micro-site. This user installable software updates the HXR-NX5U firmware version from 1.0 to 2.0. It is available here: http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-nxcamsite/resource.downloads

Version 2.0 addresses a "buffer overflow" message that may rarely occur due to a software malfunction with the camera’s HXR-FMU128 controller. When this issue occurs, the camera fails to power the FMU128 up, causing the camera's memory buffer to overflow.

Buffer overflow may also occur when defective memory cards or inappropriate memory cards with low writing speed are used. If the card cannot keep up with the data flow, it will cause the camera's buffer to overflow. The only remedy for this is to replace the defective or inappropriate memory card for one that matches the NX5U specifications.

Juan Martinez
Senior Product Manager

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: HXR-NX5U Firmware Update
on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:38:49 pm

Hi Juan,

Thanks for joining the group and for making such a nice camera.

Will the firmware fix the timecode issue?

If not, do you have an expected fix date?

If you have been reading my timecode posts, in summary:

1. The software utility that shipped with my camera drops the timecodes when it imports it.
2. The SONY Vegas 9.0 also drops the timecodes when it imports it.
3. These have been confirmed by Sony support.

John Lenihan
LeniCam Video Productions

http://www.lenicam.com
972-378-0446

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez
on Jun 17, 2010 at 3:01:38 am

Hello,

Let me clarify. All HXR-NX5, from the very fisrt one, record time code following the AVCHD specification (embeded in the MPEG-4 stream). Some NLE do not read the TC. I am not in liberty to speack for the NLE companies, but what I can say is... expect dot releases; this issue is being addressed by those NLE manufacturers. The SMPTE TC of all preexisting files shot with your NX5 will readable by these updated versions.

Juan Martinez
Sony Electronics

Juan Martinez

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:06:11 pm

Thanks Juan,

I appreciate your insight.

I understand that the NLE companies have to catch up to you.

What I don't understand, is why the utility software that came with the camera doesn't read the timecode. It was packaged in the very same box as the camera, but doesn't read the timecode from the very camera it came with.

Do you know when that will be fixed?

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez
on Jun 17, 2010 at 7:55:44 pm

You are right, the Content Manegement Utility does not disply the TC. We are currently studying what to do next... Should we use engineering resources to patch CMU to make it read TC or should we create something new?

Juan Martinez
Sony Electronics

Juan Martinez

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jun 17, 2010 at 8:36:26 pm

Juan,

Oh the tradeoffs.

It reminds me of when I was a product manager for Rockwell International.

You don't have to patch the CMU as long as:
1. You can get the Vegas part of Sony to read it soon.
2. And, you are sure that it is the CMU that is wrong and not the camera.

My experience is that Vegas and the CMU won't read either the AVCHD time codes, nor the mpg timecodes. If the issue is the avchd embedded timecodes, then why doesn't it work for the mpg files, which have been defined for a while. That is what makes me wonder if the camera is storing them properly.

John Lenihan
972-378-0446

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Rene Folse
on Dec 1, 2011 at 1:50:55 am

A year ago Sony was trying to figure out how to make its own software read timecode. So, what is the status?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:05:01 am

Starting with Sony Vegas 10, which came out a year ago, the Sony Vegas 10, and now Sony Vegas 11 read the correct timecode from the camera.

I Could tell you a lot more about how to do it, and to syncronize multiple cameras and sync them in the Vegas timeline.

If you let me know what you are trying to do, I may be able to assist.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Rene Folse
on Dec 1, 2011 at 4:44:11 am

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply. I use Adobe CS 5.5. I just migrated from the Z5U to the NX5U and am trying to get to know it. If I take the raw files from the camera, including everything, Adobe can read the timecode and yes I have succeeded in syncing up my two cameras.

I learned how to do this after trying to do this after importing media with the supplied Sony Content Management Utility which did not work. After import with the CMU, Adobe Premiere did not see any timecode. However if I use the raw files before CMU import, Premiere does see the timecode. The problem however is that when using the raw files I have the recombine the raw files that are fragmented because of the 2GB Fat 32 limit.

Today I spent some time trying to figure out why the CMU does not export time code. I noticed that indeed even before exporting, the Sony CMU does not see timecode and does not display timecode in the preview window. In other words, as strange as it may seem, Sony CMU software seems blind to their own timecode.

Disbelieving this, I searched the Internet and found the post in this thread by a Sony Representative who said in June 2010 that he confirmed (after being confronted about it in this forum) that the Sony CMU does not seem to see their own timecode and as you can see above he said the Sony engineers are trying to figure out what to do about it.

My post was a one year five month follow up to see what they did about it.

The Sony Z5U used a utility that simply put the 2GB files back together without disturbing the time code. I would like to get something simple like that. I am successfully seeing timecode in CS 5.5 by using the raw files. But, this is a very inefficient toolchain and Sony should be able to get their own utility to see, and then export the timecode.

Any tips you have would be appreciated.

Rene

Return to posts index

Doug Wiggins
on Sep 3, 2010 at 4:39:42 am

A question for Mr Martinez. Juan, I am in Australia and our version of this great new camera is NX5p. I have experienced this Buffer Overflow so I am very interested in a patch that can fix it. Is the Version 2.0 patch you made available for the northern hemisphere at link http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-nxcamsite/resource.downloads going to be appropriate for our camera? My serial number is in the 5***** range.
I cannot afford to have this happen when I am shooting a wedding.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ivo Fuentes
Re: HXR-NX5P Firmware Update?
on Jan 5, 2015 at 4:19:56 am

Hi NX5 users..

In the recent past (Dec 2014) I have been having this Buffer Overflow issue with an Nx5p camera.. Im in Perth, Western Australia

But from researching google and reading past threads, it seems that the version 2 firmware update has been available for some time now (2010).

I have owned the camera from new since Sept 2012.

So my question is..
Does anyone know how to locate in the camera which version of firmware it currently has? Before i download and install the version 2 firemware.

If anyone can pass on info, that would be apreciated.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jan 6, 2015 at 7:46:11 pm

I don't remember how to inquire about the current version.

However, if you download the update, and follow its directions, one of the steps checks your camera's current version and compares it to the new one. If it doesn't need it, it will tell you.

JOhn

John Lenihan

http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ivo Fuentes
on Jan 7, 2015 at 1:21:30 am

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.. will give it a go.

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]