FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio tips for the Sony NXCAM

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
preston mullins
Audio tips for the Sony NXCAM
on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:11:58 am

I noticed that every time I barely bumped or even touched my Sony NXCAM, I could easily hear that touch or bump on XLR 2, where I have my shotgun mic plugged into. The internal mic is even worse at picking up these sounds. In a very quiet room, I could even hear the auto zoom mechanism, as well as turning the focus, zoom, and iris rings manually. I'm sure it's do to the camera's hollowness and plastic casing as is with other cameras.

Anyway, I was playing with the 'wind' feature and to my surprise, it greatly reduced those problematic sounds I just mentioned. It went from bad to usable.

Go to 'menu,' 'audio set,' 'xlr set' and from there you can turn the wind feature on or off for your choice of inputs. Turn it on, if it is not on already, to reduce those sounds. Of course it will also help reduce wind sound. I also changed the 'trim' on channel two to from 0 to -6db, which helped cut out white noise. Basically these settings will reduce low bassy sounds.

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
Re: Audio tips for the Sony NXCAM
on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:23:43 pm

Very nice tip, thank you for sharing!

Eric

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Nov 29, 2012 at 2:32:10 pm

Thanks for the tip. I would not have thought about using the wind noise button.

Another thing I do in a very quiet room is to turn off the autogain, and just manually adjust the input level for the intended sound, which I presume is a person speaking.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Dec 14, 2012 at 7:53:10 am

Preston, which camera are you using? I have none of those audio issues with the NX5 and that camera does not have a cheap plastic casing. It does pick up some zoom noise when speed zoom is turned on but Sony warns you about that in the user manual. As for the internal mic, it should only be used in emergency situations if your other mics die.

Return to posts index

preston mullins
on Dec 19, 2012 at 5:46:15 pm

Yes, I have the NX5U. I agree that the housing is not cheap plastic, which I never suggested it was "cheap." And I never use the internal mic, I switched it over to test the noise issue I was having.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]