FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD Card workflow

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew MacRae
SD Card workflow
on Nov 20, 2012 at 3:03:27 pm

I didn't see a forum where this would be appropriate but I'll post it here since I'm considering a Sony FS700 but it will apply to any card based workflow.

Going to a card based workflow I'm very nervous about not having a hard backup of media. I'm developing a policy for our company for card based media and I'm wondering if anybody has any general recommendations, but I'm specifically wondering about devices like these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Portable-Data-Storage/ci/3369/N/408316386...

They seem to be designed for still photography but do they work ok for video? It would be nice to be able to do at least basic playback to confirm the transfer was successful.

If a mod wants to move this post to a more appropriate forum that would be great.

Andrew MacRae
Audio Engineer, Outreach Productions

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: SD Card workflow
on Nov 20, 2012 at 3:18:48 pm

Here is what I would do.

Buy the HXR-FMU128 128 GB Memory Module.

Buy your favorite sd cards.

The camera can simultaneously record to both media at the same time. So you automatically have backups.

Trying to copy sd cards in the field when you are blowing and going is a dangerous thing to do. I would not do it unless I absolutely had to and had another person doing it, not the videographer.

Of course, you want to play with the camera doing under many conditions before you actually use it for the first deal breaker shoot.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 20, 2012 at 3:22:59 pm

These are designed for DSLRs and from what I can tell do not support playback of video files. They may work for the basic backup but will not really work as a full featured transfer/DIT station where you can QC the actual video. We'd recommend a laptop and either the Sony Content Browser Software (free, optional AVCHD plugin = 19.95) or else a 3rd party transfer solution like ShotPut Pro.

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on Nov 20, 2012 at 7:34:07 pm

We've been using SD cards on our cameras for 4 years now and have never dropped so much as a frame. Always buys a reputable name in SD cards with the right rating and you should be fine. We then transfer footage to our edit systems, these are connected to a DROBO FS which has 5 x 3gig drives and acts as a live backup and finished productions backup.

"There's no point in filming in you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Nov 25, 2012 at 4:41:41 pm

I use SanDisk Extreme Pro Class UHS-I cards and dual record all important shoots to the FMU128 on a NX5U. In 3 years I've NEVER had a problem. I have a RAID hard drive system for archive. After a shoot, I create a folder and label it whatever the shoot was and copy the exact contents of the card or FMU128 to that folder as archive. I then do all editing off of the FMU128. The SDHC cards are, essentially my backup in case there's ever an issue recording to the FMU128.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]