FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie looking to buying camcorder & accessories.

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeffry jeffry
Newbie looking to buying camcorder & accessories.
on Oct 30, 2012 at 8:53:14 am

Hi all, I'm newbie and this is my first post here. Been doing research and now confuse with lots of product, spec, jargon, etc... I'm back to square one without knowledge... (Why can't we live in a simple world!) I need help on buying camcorder & accessories. Been eyeing on the latest Sony NEX-VG900 or the NEX-VG30, I will set my budget on this range. I like Sony because I saw their anti shake technology is very good and they are well known for quality product.
Important things I really really need are Full HD videos quality within my budget & must have Anti shake, want to archive all the videos for safe keeping. My main focuses for this camcorder are mostly for indoor lecture classes and family functions on weekends. For the lecture class, it is host in the evening with minimum lighting, the camcorder will be about 10ft away from the lecturer.
Some mic I been eyeing are Sony XLR-K1M, Sony ECM-CG50, wireless mic Sony ECM-AW3. I want to have two mic for the lecture season just for backup in case the shotgun is not strong enough to capture the lecturer voice (soft spoken man!!)
There have been mixed reviews on the Sony nex-vg900, so I don't know which to believe and just going on the good side...

Here are my questions
1. Are the Sony nex-vg consider consumer pro cam?
2. For audio, can I use shotgun and wireless to record simultaneously without interfering when video editing? As mention above, my lecturer is a soft spoken man!
3. What do I need to record good quality sound, PCM?
4. Can you recommend me a good solid tripod with fancy & useful function, not that I need it, but just in case.. I don't need a tall one, but minimum from the floor is about 2ft in height.
5. How many type of 1080p out there? What I mean is, diff between recording 1080p with cheap camcorder, Smartphone, and mid to high range camcorder.
6. What sort of lens should I get for my purpose that can produce high quality videos?
7. What is good camcorder light that is bright and very easy on the eye?

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Re: Newbie looking to buying camcorder & accessories.
on Oct 30, 2012 at 9:30:24 pm

What's your budget? Tell me that and then I can put together a list of stuff to meet that budget.

Return to posts index

jeffry jeffry
on Oct 31, 2012 at 1:10:21 am

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.
For now my budget is around $4k for camcorder & accessories. I can add more, but not so soon.
I know my budget is a bit tight if I wanna get the VG900, I was thinking to get the camcorder first and accessories bit by bit for now...

Return to posts index

jeffry jeffry
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:02:39 am

Come to think of it, looking at my budget, I'm willing to consider the Sony NEX-VG30H (with E-mount 18-200mm
From what I can see, there's only slight diff between the two.

Return to posts index

Leo van Emden
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:16:03 am

Hi Newbie,

I'am new also on this site. Here's is my advice your question. Don't forget to buy a good bag, some cards a camera light and a good tripod. This means you'll need some of your budget on the side. If you really look for the high end film look and the good XLR connections then buy the Nex-EA50 with the zoom lens. Out of the box you can work, a good tripod, ND filter, A good extra microphone and some SD cards is enough. Within your budget you will have space for an bag and a camera light.

Best Leo.

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:11:34 pm

Frankly, based on your description and what you'll be using it for, I have no idea why you're wanting a camera like the VG900. You don't need a film look for lectures. Here's what I suggest:

Camera: Panasonic AG-HMC150 - $2795
Tripod: Manfrotto MVH502A - $399
Bag: Petrol PC202 Deca Mini Camporter - $136
Wireless: Sennheiser EW 100 G3 Combo System - $799
Mic: Rode NTG2 Shotgun - $269

That's a great starter kit for your budget.

Return to posts index

jeffry jeffry
on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:08:06 am

I would look into the camcorder you guys recommend. Thks guys.

As I said, I'm new, and this would be my first purchase of camcorder. I don't read the spec as good as you guy, don't even know most of the functions.. At first I wanted to go for Canon XL2, then I saw the VG900, Honestly, I like how it look then knowing more of the spec haha.. And sony Optical SteadyShot really impress me.

Anyway guys, still my top priority is Full HD quality, HD sound and anti shake like Sony "Optical SteadyShot". In camera LCD with touchscreen would be a bonus..

Why is the VG900/VG30 not suitable for me? What is it really for?

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Nov 1, 2012 at 11:36:20 am

Well, first of all, the VG900 (and other similar cameras) uses SLR lenses and that produce a shallow depth of field. Very very difficult cameras for beginners to shoot with. Most beginners or novice shooters won't be able to maintain proper focus with this camera. The best Sony camera for your needs is the NX5U. Great image, excellent steady shot, and the thing can practically shoot by itself in auto mode. However, while the camera is in your budget, it leaves no room for the "extras" you'll need to buy. The HMC150 is essentially Panasonic's version of the NX5U, minus a few features like HD-SDI output which I doubt you'd ever use.

Return to posts index

jeffry jeffry
on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:52:56 am

Hi Michael,

Thks for your reply and suggestions.
I've been doing comparing, youtubing, and reading on the camcorder suggested to me (Panasonic HMC150, Sony NX5P & Sony EA50H)
I also learned a little bit about ND filter, comparing frame rate, types of audio recording format etc..

I see the diff between HMC150 & NX5P, and from the video test I downloaded from youtube, I really love the quality from the NX5P. But my worry is most of the NX5P is having a "back foucs" issue and haven't found a fix for it, that scared me. So I read on the Sony EA50H, few minor things are not there in NX5P. I like the shoulder mount function thou.. But then again (correct me if I'm wrong) the EA50H is using SLR lens which is an issue for beginner.
I also like the Sony HXR-FMU128 Flash Memory Unit, this will be in the near future, kinda expensive.

So anyway, here's my new list of what I need in a camcorder. (PAL, we're using 50Hz here)
1.Full HD Video quality
2. Face Detection for quick focusing.
3. ND filter (minor, but would be better if built in)
4. XLR IN put & Headphone Out
5. Liner PCM audio format
6. 1080/60p (24 or 28Mbps) Sometimes I go to soccer game, sometimes..
7. H.264 video format (AVC/H)
8. Steady Shot (Anti Shake)
9. Built IN LCD / Touch Screen

Accesories for now
1. Tripod
2. Shot gun mic & wireless mic
3. Bag
4. Memory card

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Nov 2, 2012 at 11:23:41 am

Scratch face detection off that list. It's not a function you'll find on a pro camera. It's a consumer feature only that you'll find on $200+ cameras sold at Best Buy.

Return to posts index

jeffry jeffry
on Nov 9, 2012 at 6:58:48 am

Hi Michael & Everyone,

I've been doing more research and leaning towards the Sony HXR-NX5P, despite the back focus issue. I read that not all units are having that issue, will try before purchasing it. Thanks to all for helping. I might get this camcorder before end of year in Malaysia. Don't feel right ordering such expensive item online.
Anyway, any rumor if Sony coming with a successor to the HXR-NX5? And why is the PAL camcorder more expensive? Between NX5U & NX5P. Am I missing something? I went to a local shop to test a few full HD consumer camcorder, I like the quality of the video, would the NX5P have a better video quality?
One more thing is, I have two ipad 4(with lightning connector), can I hook it up to my camcorder as my external monitor( and control it, if there is an app that you guys know of) while recording, and the other watching what is recording, real time, remotely using wifi?

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Nov 14, 2012 at 4:53:59 pm

Sony offers a "world upgrade" option for the NX5U. You send it to Sony, pay the fee, and the c comes back able to shoot NTSC or PAL. With the upgrade, the camera costs the same as the PAL version but now you have all possible formats. It does suck that you have to send your cam off for a month but its worth it. As for back focus, mine has a slight issue. I compensate by zooming in, critical focus, then zoom out and ever so slightly nudging the focus ring back a bit. That gives me a crisp, focused image. Yes, it would be better if it didn't have the issue at all but it's not that big a deal if you know what you are doing.

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Nov 14, 2012 at 4:59:00 pm

...also, every year there's speculation about Sony releasing a newer model of the NX5U. Truth is, the NX5U has outperformed Sony's expectations and the camera gets nothing but great reviews. Sony's focus for the NXCAM line is the DSLR type cameras like the FS700. The NX5U has been forgotten by Sony so don't expect a newer version of the NX5 anytime soon. It would be great to see a shoulder mount version of the NX5 in, say, the S270U's body but, frankly, I don't see it happening.

Return to posts index

jeffry jeffry
on Nov 21, 2012 at 5:55:46 am

Hi Michael, thanks again for your time to reply my post.
Few changes on my plan, I know I said I wont get the camcorder online, but I wont be traveling either, so I'm rethinking most probably will be ordering it from B&H Photo. And for the camcorder, I am also changing it to Sony NEX-EA50, mainly for their big sensor compare to the NX5U. I know I'm a newbie, but will just have to learn using it.
Now waiting patiently for it to be available

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Dec 26, 2012 at 1:01:48 am

Also....don't forget HXR-NX70U. The cost about $2800 or less. You would have extra cash for accessories.

Return to posts index

mae aguilar
on Dec 13, 2012 at 12:40:52 pm

Hi there Jeffrey!

Still confused of which camcorder you like to get? The best camcorder this 2012 if you are to ask me is Panasonic Professional AG-HMC40 AVCHD Camcorder with 10.6 MP Still and 12x Optical. I like the smooth zoom of it best to control very precisely.

Mae

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]