FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeking NX5 Advice from J Lenihan

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike LaSala
Seeking NX5 Advice from J Lenihan
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:52:42 pm

I am new to this forum. I "found" Creative Cow back in May when I started to seriously researching a camera to replace my aging Canon GL2. I have been able to "get by"
with my GL2 for maybe a bit longer than I should have, but for what I do, it suffices as I do not have a real need for HD. But I want to upgrade my camera and have the ability of HD and SD and move away from tape. I film a lot of youth and high school football, so the 20x zoom of the NX5 narrowed my choice down quite a bit. I have read with great interest the responses that you (John) have provided on this forum regarding the NX5. I am seeking some of your operational experienced of the NX5 to help me determine if the camera is a good fit for my use.

I film a lot of HS football from the sidelines (hand held) so relying on the auto focus is a necessity. I had read numerous posts regarding the back focus issues of the NX5 and your comments regarding the how the camera tends to "focus" in on straight lines in the background as opposed to a persons face in the center of the viewfinder during low light situations such as in a banquet room.

By looking at your web site and some examples in your posts, I see that you film sporting events. When you film soccer, hockey ect., do you rely on auto focus? If so do you experience any "hunting" that others have experienced with the NX5? With your experience w/ the NX5, do you feel that auto focus can be relied on to capture the action on the field when manual focus can not be utilized? Also, for the wedding videography that you perform, can auto focus be relied on - generally speaking? Do you feel that the CMOS chips and AVCHD format provides you good quality for fast moving (panning) sporting events?

I rely on the viewfinder on my GL2 when I shoot from a tripod or hand held and do not use the LCD screen. In your opinion, can the NX5 be comfortably hand held and the view find utilized to capture sideline footage?

I understand that the NX5 has been around a while and will probably be phased out without an upgrade, but my needs of a long zoom and the ability to not to rely on a tripod all the time limits my options, I believe. Additionally, the cost of the NX5 is at my limits.....I can not justify spending $5k plus at this point on the other offerings from Sony, Panasonic or Canon that receive the most favorable posts regarding the cameras abilities. The new JVC looks appealing, but I may need to purchase before the camera is available.
Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Seeking NX5 Advice from J Lenihan
on Jul 6, 2012 at 6:21:41 pm

Mike,

I endorse the use of the NX5U for recording HS sports. Regarding the focus, it is not a problem unless a coach or fan sticks their head into your shot. I use the autofocus. Because there is plenty of light, the auto aperature usually settles in around 5.6 to 8.0. There is plenty of depth of field. There are not straight lines behind your subject. And if you are following the ball, the background has motion blur so the camera is not tricked.

I recommend you spend the bucks for the FM128 so you have plenty of storage. If you do a soccer tournament or such, you can shoot 5 or 6 games before going home and saving to hard disk. (Yes, I have actually shot 5 soccer games (2 hours each, in the rain, on the same day.)

I recommend you buy several Sony 970 batteries. The big ones. Don't buy any other brand of batteries. I did a comprehensive test of 5 brands of batteries and none lasted as long, despite their claims. And more importantly, none of them was as accurate on the battery life remaining. For instance, the off brand batteries would say 200 minutes left, one second later, be dead.

Regarding AVCHD, quality wise, it is great, indistinguishable from MPEG2 or AVI or MOV. However, to edit, it is a computer hog. Make sure you have the biggest, baddest CPU you can afford and one of the recommended graphics cards. Otherwise, when you are previewing your project on the timeline, it will play very slow.

Are you a professional, that is, do you get paid for this work? Or are you an advanced amateur? If you are a professional, I have more advice, but it costs more money.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Mike LaSala
on Jul 6, 2012 at 7:11:24 pm

I do some work for pay but have a full time job to work around which limits my availability.....thus hard to justify a camera in the EX1 price range.. I use Final Cut for editing and have a MacPro 6 core to use with the new camera. I also film in some low light situations: dance recitals and fashion shows. These fit a little better into my schedule. Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jul 6, 2012 at 11:23:13 pm

I have an NX5U and edit on a MacBook Pro running FCP. My advice is shoot everything HD and just down convert the final edit to SD. It will look better. I shoot a lot of high school football. The NX5U is excellent for your needs.

Return to posts index

Mike LaSala
on Jul 8, 2012 at 5:06:38 pm

John thank you for your comments.

Michael thank you for the post. Do you use "log and transfer? How long does it take you to import a game into your MBP? (if the footage from your game is 50 minutes, how long is the log&transfer process?)

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:01:25 pm

Yes, I use log & transfer. I set it to transcode to ProRes LT. That's quicker than ProRes or ProRes HQ. 50 minted takes about 40 minutes to load. However, I shoot first half on one card and second half on another and start loading card one at halftime and card two on the drive home since I don't have to have anything FTP'd until midnight.

Return to posts index

Mike LaSala
on Aug 24, 2012 at 3:59:29 pm

Michael
The footage that you posted, was it shot @ 60i or 720p? Also did you use your picture profile that you previously posted?
Mike

Return to posts index

al ronzio
on Oct 20, 2012 at 5:01:38 am

Hello,

I'm Al, new to the site. I just bought a NX5 and have a 30 day grace period to return it.
I work in TV production doing commercial spots, web sites etc, for my small agency.

I do most of my production in LA using larger, higher end Sony's but need a camera for easy transport to Hawaii where I live. Lots of color and action here. The NX5 seemed like the way to go but I would like to get an opinion of what newer (Sony) camera you would recommend before the 30 days runs out. I wouldn't mind if it was a little more expensive.

I heard that Sony is bringing out a new product(?).

Thanks for your feedback.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Oct 20, 2012 at 2:22:39 pm

I own and use the NX5U. Actually 4 of them for two or three crews at a time. Lots of blowing and going of events I can't control and need the 20x zoom lens. Works very nicely. Because I know how to avoid its problems.

However,

If I were looking at just one camera, with have more time to set up shots like it sounds from your email, I would buy the 700. At least buy it quick then compare them and return one of them.

John

PS Sony is always coming out with new cameras, each one better. So defer buying anything until you need it. Or in other words, if you need it buy the best available and start earning money.

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

al ronzio
on Oct 26, 2012 at 9:44:15 pm

Thanks, John.

I looked over the FS 700 and because the auto zoom lens and the 4K firmware are not yet available the overall price may be more than I'm ready to commit to at this time.

I've been looking at the PMW 200. With the larger 1/2 sensors, 1000 TV1 res, MPEG 422 at 50 Mbps for an additional $3500-4K (after factoring in the camera and higher cost for the accessories) is the PMW 200 a viable step up?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Oct 27, 2012 at 4:36:50 pm

Yes it should be,
I haven't studied or played withit, but:
XDCAM line is considered higher end than the NXCAM line.
Fujinon lens are considered better than Sony lens.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]