FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grainy footage - Sony HXR NX5U

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynne Breniman
Grainy footage - Sony HXR NX5U
on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:15:38 am

Hello,

I've been using the Sony HXR NX5U for a year now and I love it. Recently, my footage has been coming out grainy. I'm not sure if I've got a setting out of place or what but I've never had this problem before. I'm recording HD 1080/30p FX, nothing new there. My gain is set to zero... what am I missing? The view finder doesn't display the grain so it's a crappy surprise when I bring it into Premiere Pro. I haven't done anything new with my Premiere settings. Is my camera starting to punk out on me? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glyn Gray
Re: Grainy footage - Sony HXR NX5U
on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:23:26 am

Well the first question is are you filming the same type of footage? Sounds to me like you may be filming low level light environments? When I was using these cameras I used to use -3 and -6db which removed some noise for me. Are you using a new monitor? Is your screen brighter than normal. The list really could go on.

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Apr 3, 2012 at 11:38:08 am

Lynne,

From my experience and from what I've read here on this forum, 0db is not really 0 on these cameras. 0db WILL produce some grain, even in bright daylight. With that said, a smaller iris such as over approx 5 will also cause some grain to be introduced into the image. Try going into the menu and setting the gain switch to be -3 and -6 db. As much as possible shoot in -6db and a fully open iris.

Hope that helps.
Eric

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:01:53 pm

Lynne,

I have never seen grain when the gain is at 0.

However, I have two thoughts.
1. If you have the auto/manual slide switch set to auto, it will overide the physical switch, even if that is set to zero. The best thing is to read what the gain setting is in the display. That is the real gain at that moment. If you cannot see the gain setting, go to the menu items and turn on the one that gets the settings to display.

2. Shoot similar stuff, say daylight. If the gain in the window says anything less than +3db and you are still getting lots of graininess, I would send it to Sony repair right away while you can still get it fixed in warranty.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:53:04 pm

Rule of thumb with these cameras: NEVER iris below F5.6.....EVER!!!! Stick to that rule and you can go as high as 3db without getting grain. As far as what's happening to you, I have no clue without physically looking at your camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]