FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone Reccomendation for Sony NXCAM

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Karpowicz
Microphone Reccomendation for Sony NXCAM
on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:01:42 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a microphone for the Sony NXCAM. It's a MPEG2 SD, a few years old. Looking to do some interviews with it so doesn't have to be hardcore but obviously we need more than what comes with the camera but nothing crazy. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Microphone Reccomendation for Sony NXCAM
on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:44:07 pm

This Sennheiser is what I use on all my cameras.

First class.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618747-REG/Sennheiser_EW135PG3_A_EW13...

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Karpowicz
on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:58:57 pm

Thanks John, looks like it would be perfect for what we need. Any other suggestions that might be a bit cheaper? I only ask because I seem to only find options that are really expensive or really cheap and have been looking for some middle ground. I'm guessing the sound from a $20 microphone is going to be so worthless I'd be better off just using the one that comes with the camera. Just want to make sure before I tell everyone we really need to spend 600 bucks.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Mar 29, 2012 at 1:44:52 am

Jeremy,
First of all, I read into your request that you needed wireless.

If you don't, you can use a Shure SM58 and xlr cable for around $150 and get the same quality sound as the Sennheiser I recommended.

If this is only temporary, or is a hobby, or you don't expect to use it much, that is what I would do.

One step less expensive, would be to use an xlr cable and remove the shotgun from the camera and plug in the cable. Use the shotgun as a handheld. That would cost around $25 for 25 foot xlr cord.

IF, you earn a living from these interviews, are frequently in a new venue, don't want to manage a dangling wire for passers by to trip on, then I recommend the sennheiser G3100 family I mentioned. It has many of the features of Sennheiser wireless devices costing $3000 to $5000 but for only $600.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Karpowicz
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:18:12 pm

John,

Thanks so much, that's exactly the advice I needed. We have an office space at NAB and they want me to be able to pull certain people in and get them on camera and answering some questions but there's not much of a plan beyond that. I guess that puts me somewhere between hobby and earning a living with this stuff. I am going to present both of the wireless and wired options you mentioned and see what they say...you get what you pay for, right? I'll keep that excellent tip about the shotgun in my pocket just in case.

Thanks again for the great advice,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joseph Morgan
on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:49:18 am

Jeremy,

I'm with John on this one. Having used both on my NX5 I would say go for that wireless option. It is so versatile.

Cheers,

Joseph

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Mar 31, 2012 at 6:19:11 am

Rode NTG2 shotgun ($269) hardwired via XLR cable. Pro audio without spending $500 for a shotgun. If you must have wireless, you're going to spend a minimum of $600 for something decent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]