FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony NX5U Time Lapse Footage - How Can I Improve

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Keo
Sony NX5U Time Lapse Footage - How Can I Improve
on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:30:07 pm

Hello,

I wrote a post yesterday and then attempted my first time lapse video shoot (John thanks for the input). I recorded in 1080/24p with a shutter speed of 1/180 and I believe a ND Filter 1. I shot for about 1.5 hours during sunset. Once the sun started going down, the image got really grainy to the point where I won't be able to use the footage.

I want to give it another shot (do one at dawn as well). Any insight into how I can improve? Is there away to delay the graininess by using an automatic iris setting (is there such a setting)? Please check out the footage using the link below:

Thank you!

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Sony NX5U Time Lapse Footage - How Can I Improve
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:06:05 pm

Yes, you can delay the graininess.

Set the shutter to either automatic or 1/48, which it probably defaults to.

That will give you the most light. The graininess is from the automatic gain. The more gain, the more grain. Since you don't have fast moving objects, the slower shutter should work nicely.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:34:08 pm

You can set the maximum gain for auto mode/auto gain in the menus (AGC). Mine is set at 9 (which still gets pretty grainy IMO), experiment to see what works for you. Also play with Auto Exposure (AE), which adjusts how far auto iris opens/closes the iris.

Return to posts index

Gene Kois
on May 30, 2012 at 4:10:04 am

Definitely set the AGC limit. Out of the box it will go up to 21 Db gain on its own. Also I found a great plug-in for FCP (and other non-linear systems)... Neat Video for noise reduction. http://www.neatvideo.com/ I was out on a lava field at night with my NX5U. We couldn't get close enough to see the actual lava, but lots of orange pluming against a pitch black sky. To get a a picture I had to go to 18 gain. As expected, the blacks and the plumes were noisy. But I ran the footage thru Neat in FCP, and was totally amazed at the results. The blacks are rich with no grain, and the orange plumes look like silk. This filter has really made me rethink the use of gain.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]