FORUMS: list search recent posts

Achieving Shallow Depth Of Field with NX5U

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Keo
Achieving Shallow Depth Of Field with NX5U
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:17:02 pm

I shoot corporate videos (primarily talking heads in small spaces {conference rooms}) with Sony's NX5U and have not been able to achieve shallow depth of field. This is very frustrating as I see more and more people using the Canon 5D and getting amazing looking video, but I am stuck with this camera, so if anyone has had any success in doing this with the NX5U I would very much appreciate your insights. The more specific you can be the better. As always, thanks.

Andrew

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Re: Achieving Shallow Depth Of Field with NX5U
on Mar 15, 2012 at 1:44:49 am

I shoot the same types of videos with the NX5. You can get a shallow depth of field but need to utilize all of the space in the room. I get the subject away from the background and try to position the camera an equal distance from the subject as the background. The rest is all about lighting. I shoot on filter 1 with the shutter at 1/250. Doing that means you have to blast a LOT of light on the subject and background. That's the only way to do it in small rooms. It's much easier in large spaces.

Return to posts index

Drew Keo
on Mar 15, 2012 at 4:58:08 pm

Thank you Michael I will test this later today. But what do you mean by Filter 1?

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Mar 16, 2012 at 3:06:34 am

The built-in ND filter. Set it to 1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]