FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Monitor for NX5U

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roderick Lavallee
External Monitor for NX5U
on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:59:46 pm

Aby suggestions out there? I'm just never fully happy with the focus I'm getting from the on-board LCD; most of that has to do with my own eyesight rather than the LCD itself.

Would love to integrate a larger (5" or greater) monitor without paying $1k. Anyone used any in the $500 ranger that are worth a darn?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Re: External Monitor for NX5U
on Feb 5, 2012 at 4:33:56 pm

You're not going to find a HD monitor that's better than the LCD for focusing for under $1k. I use a Haier 7" SD TV/Monitor I picked up on eBay for $65 for studio configuration shoots. You can use it for focusing, although it's not great for that since it's SD. I mainly use it for color/framing.

Return to posts index

Roderick Lavallee
on Feb 6, 2012 at 3:25:04 pm

Thanks for helping me focus my search. Obviously I was off in my perception.

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:43:02 am

Check out CoolLCD.com. They have several 5", 7", & 8" HD LCD's under $1k. They are not as good as the higher end HD monitors but might fit your needs.

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:41:33 pm

Roderick, I too am very picky about focus, and also (because I'm getting old) have eyes that are not perfect. On my NX70 (which I have returned), I used these techniques to get best focus:

* Expanded Focus is a big help!
* Bought 2.5x reading glasses to help zero in on the LCD pixels
* Don't use Peaking - it is not as reliable as your bare eyes
* The viewfinder on the NX5 is the same as the NX70 - it is very sharp, and the diopter lets you dispense with glasses. I was actually able to get a better focus with it than the LCD.

Finally, if your NX5 does not have problems with back-focus, zoom in 20x, focus, then use that setting even for wide shots. (Test this before hand - if you have back-focus problems, this will not work).

Good luck and stay sharp!

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM Vegas 10e x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]