FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting Hockey indoors with a nx5u

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jerry greene
Shooting Hockey indoors with a nx5u
on Jan 17, 2012 at 6:28:13 pm

I've been shooting a nx5u for 2 yrs now at indoor hockey rinks, at AVCHD FX (24Mbps) 1920x1080/60i at full auto mode.

I'm use fcp7 to put together a year end vid. i have the hang of it so not to conceded there. However, when cobbling multiple rinks together, the quality varies from good to a dark (er) product. then if i color correct, things turn out a bit grainy... so thats my issue.
Shooting in darker rinks, how to get the best out of the camera

im a dad that used to coach and is now behind the camera. Final product i give coach is a blu ray disc that looks very good most times, depending on rink lighting. Thanks for any thoughts.

jerry greene

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Shooting Hockey indoors with a nx5u
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:27:10 pm

Can you ask the people at the darker rinks to turn up the lights? Try setting the auto gain correction to a lower number, or avoiding full auto mode

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:54:48 pm

Hi Jerry,

Here is what I have discovered about shooting hockey.
1. The puck is fast and small.
2. The lights are terrible, usually high pressure sodium arc.
3. The most coveted clip is full body shot of the player slapping the stick against the puck and the camera follows the puck into the net, bulging against the back of the net, then dropping, all played back in slow motion.

There are conflicting camera requirements, and I have experimented a lot. In order to see the puck while it moves, you want to have a high shutter speed, like say 1/400 of a second.

In order to work in the dimly lit rink, you want to have a slow shutter speed. In order to get a close shot, you want to zoom in. In order to make sure your player with the puck is in focus, you want a narrow apperture for larger depth of field.

What I do is the following:
Set the shutter speed to a manual 1/180 of a second. The lights actually turn on and off 60 times a second, and if you are not on a muliple of that, you will see the lights go bright, then dim on the video over a 4 second cycle.

Then I make aperature, focus automatic. Make sure the nd filters are off.

Then I tighten in on a "white" section of ice before the zamboni clears it from the previous game. I press the button to memorize that setting as white in the white balance. Since the overhead lights range from yellow to green, this makes them look fairly the same whiteness.

Next I set the AE or AS, that is automatic exposure adjustment, to be plus 2. This is because the camera light sensor sees all the white relections from the ice and the boards, and actually makes the tries to optimize on them, making the players and puck too dark. Alternatively, sometimes I will actually watch the settings in the camera following a player tightly during warm up, and just put the aperature into manual at that setting. This again is because the interest is the player and puck, not the white boards or ice.

If you need more information on what I do, let me know.

JOhn Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

jerry greene
on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:38:18 pm

John, picking up a your answer here at work, would like to run to rink right now to try out your suggestions. Will run up there tonight and put the nx5u thru its paces using your suggestions.
will let you know what i learn.. thanks !

Return to posts index

jerry greene
on Jan 22, 2012 at 10:48:29 pm

John, hey thanks so much, Hockey day here in Mn. this weekend and shot 3 games all with some of the suggestions You made. the best was to open up the AS setting +2 to +4 All turned out better than before as i run thru them now. Thanks again, posting some highlights on youtube tonight. Will send link once it loads over night. THanks again!

Return to posts index

jerry greene
on Jan 23, 2012 at 2:24:10 pm

John, here is link, i guess i should have posted what the settings look like "before" but i will say they are much brighter with very little burn out. All other settings on full auto. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jan 23, 2012 at 3:10:47 pm

Thanks for your thanks.

Congratulations.

John

PS. The other settings I gave you, ie the white balance, are so you could get the colors consistent if you do a highlight of a team in different rinks. The shutter speed is to make slow motion, or to grab a picture off the video better.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]