FORUMS: list search recent posts

Impossible scenario?

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Redžinald Šimek
Impossible scenario?
on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:52:15 am

Hi guys

We plan to shoot feature, around 80 min. long in one shot, and i just trying to figure it out how to do this since, regarding the script, camera is handheld all the time. And we would like to do it without any breaks.
We are thinking about Red Epic, ARRI Alexa or Canon c300. The problem obviously is battery life and media capacity.
Target format is HD.
I did research about media and battery capacity and did not find any possible solution.
Impossible or not?
Just wandering do you have any thoughts about this.

thanks

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Impossible scenario?
on Mar 4, 2012 at 12:13:34 am

Many places build motorcycle batteries with a power inverter into a Pelican battery case. We've gotten about 3-4 hours on them in mixed standby/shooting. It might handle 80 minutes shooting to media. Element Technica makes a binary plate for IDX batteries that allows hot swap http://elementtechnica.mybigcommerce.com/technica-3d-binary-idx-dual-batter...

As far as media for the Red Epic, a 256gig card at REDCODE 8:1 @ 4K can hold 100+ minutes of media (accounting for overhead, 100 minutes is 240gigs).

The Arri Alexa should do 103 minutes with the same amount of space at ProRes444/2K. I assume its recording mechanism is a hard drive or SSD (I never rent Alexas, so excuse my ignorance there)

Hard but not impossible.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 5, 2012 at 12:55:27 pm

As far as recording time, you can tether the ALEXA to an external device, like a KiPro or an SR recorder.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Serkan yegen
on Mar 5, 2012 at 3:04:35 pm

Recording:
I assume that you would like record high quality.Internal recording to SxS cards possibly would not suitable for your shoot. The newest 64gb card could record aprox. 25 min with Proress4444.And time increase when you decrease the quality.I guess lowest quality 422LT could record duration what you need, however, quality is bad.

Alexa has two card slots but you need to cut between recording to pass one card to other.Also, changing sxs while shooting will be hard.

At that point, you need to consider external recorders according to your budget and need.With using two recorders and how-swap battery changer you could use Alexa for this project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]