FORUMS: list search recent posts

questions on Alexa timecode/transcoding with audio sync?

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Love
questions on Alexa timecode/transcoding with audio sync?
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:36:43 pm

Hey guys,

I have a job coming up with an Alexa next week and just received the speck sheet as to how they would like to footage delivered.

It's going to be a single camera wit teleprompter setup.

They are thinking about adding a lockit box for external TC jamming, would this be wise? I haven't had any issues in my number of Alexa jobs with TC drifting. Is this just a precaution ? Best way to set this up?

2nd, in the speck sheet they are reporting that when shot into prors444/422 there is no transcoding necessary, UNLESS you are shooting sync sound. Which we are planning on doing.

Wouldn't it be wise to just record audio to the camera so it's baked onto the MOV files for easier editing? I'm a bit lost as to what they mean by transcoding is only needed if we're shooting sync sound.

Thank you for any help you guys!

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
Re: questions on Alexa timecode/transcoding with audio sync?
on Feb 25, 2012 at 9:55:50 pm

I have no idea about the transcoding with sync sound... that doesn't make any sense to me. They must have some specific workflow that they use. I personally would never transcode except for offline, and those would still be independent of the audio. (I shoot with a 788T. Far better preamps then any other portable mixer or recorder, and 96kHz to boot!)

The only real reason for the Lockit box that I know of is because the Alexa loses TC sync if the power source is removed. With the Lockit you no-longer have to worry about remembering to rejam. Also, technically, the Alexa drifts rather a lot. The manual says 8 hours is the longest you should run without rejaming, which is not very good compared to the lockit box. They may feel this isn't actuate enough and so want you to use the box. There is no other reason that I know of to use one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]