FORUMS: list search recent posts

ArriRaw questions, and more....

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Mahavier
ArriRaw questions, and more....
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:44:48 pm

Trying to find out some info about ArriRaw and it's associated post workflow that I'm having difficulty finding clear information on the internet. My first question is just what is the data rate on ArriRaw?

I found one guy who is claiming that it's 42GB/min. While I found a brochure on the Arri site that says the Codex recorder will hold 50min on a 512GB drive, which works out to about 10GB/min. Which when shooting on average 4 hours of footage a day will make a huge difference in the number of LTO tapes and data transfer time. Does anyone have a link to a stated data rate for ArriRaw?

Also, does anyone know where I could find a ArriRaw image sequence that I could download and do some testing with? Preferably from the newer Alexa Plus or Studio that has the lens metadata embedded. I just want to test it with some different software for converting to other formats. Like DPX, DNxHD, ProRes, and etc for different parts of the process. Like VFX, offline, on-line, dailies, etc.

Also, if anyone has other insights about ArriRaw that they would like to offer I would like to hear. We have used the the Alexa for a project where we recorded to SR tape. And did some additional photography recording to the SxS cards. All in LogC, so I'm familiar with that part of it.

Thank you,
Jay

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: ArriRaw questions, and more....
on Jan 25, 2012 at 6:19:00 pm

[Jay Mahavier] "My first question is just what is the data rate on ArriRaw?"

ArriRaw is equal to 444 UC 10bit, that is the signal level that is required to record or playback the content.

The issue is usually the debayering which pretty much requires a top of the line 12core with 12G+ RAM and drives fast enough to playback aprox 350MBps.

[Jay Mahavier] "Also, does anyone know where I could find a ArriRaw image sequence that I could download and do some testing with?"

too big, but since you have my email and Phone, ping me I could send you some test footage. (over 8 Gigs) for the PR and Ari files (greenscreen)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]