FORUMS: list search recent posts

Heavy Arri Alexa render files, Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yana Kalugina
Heavy Arri Alexa render files, Final Cut Pro
on Jan 18, 2012 at 12:03:43 pm

Hi

I wonder if somebody can help me. I'm starting a music video shot on Alexa, the rushes themselves on my drive are around 300Gb.
What I've done so far is created a fcp project, dragged the footage into the timeline and applied Nick Shaw's LUT. I then started rendering the timeline, but when I got back it turns out that my external hard drive is full and my render files weight around 300 Gb, leaving me with only 2Gb free on the hard drive.

I'm now moving the project to a new 1Tb drive and wondering if it's going to be enough?
Anybody, who edited alexia footage faced the same problem. I'm aware that alexia files are very heavy, but I haven't even started editing itself.

Thanks!
Yana

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Heavy Arri Alexa render files, Final Cut Pro
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:06:35 pm

The Pr4444 Codec shot in Alexa is about 2.3 Gigs per minute or about 140G per hour of content.

so yes you will need lots of Drive space, be glad they are not working with ArriRaw then it would be closer to 900G per hour of content.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Heavy Arri Alexa render files, Final Cut Pro
on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:06:21 pm

I've worked a lot with the PR4444 files and the Nick Shaw plug-in in real time, unrendered. It takes a beefy machine, but works. I'm currently on a project where I've decided to take an offline/online approach. I have applied the LogC LUT to the source files and done a batch export from FCP7 to PRLT. (PR Proxy would be OK, too.) I will cut with these files and then swap the files out at the end to the PR4444 LogC files. Then the project goes to a colorist with Baselight for grading. This takes a bit more prep time, but is far easier to work with.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]