FORUMS: list search recent posts

ALEXA Clip Import Issues

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittany DeLillo
ALEXA Clip Import Issues
on Jan 15, 2012 at 5:42:51 pm

This is probably the seven millionth post on the topic but I'm going for it anyway.

I'm on a project that's shooting with the ARRI ALEXA. We're going with ProRes 4444 and Log-C. I wanted to get some test footage to solidify a workflow and experiment with LUTs and grades before production began. Downloaded a few clips from here (http://www.cinematography.net/edited-pages/alexa-tests.html) and received a couple from the director but none of them read into FCP. I get the message "1 file recognized, 0 files damaged, 1 file unknown" (paraphrasing) and nothing imports. I've also tried importing the files into Premiere, After Effects, Resolve Lite and Episode with no luck. I've read through ARRI's website twice as well as through their white papers. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Strangely enough, the file loads and plays fine in Safari.

Help! Is there a plugin I'm missing? Is it a directory issue? Lack of XML? Should I send it somewhere else to conform it to another format first? I'm importing it into FCP 7, CS5.5 applications and the latest flavor of Resolve Lite.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: ALEXA Clip Import Issues
on Jan 15, 2012 at 9:42:44 pm

Strangely enough, the file loads and plays fine in Safari

Then they are not ProRes files, as they do not play in a web browser.

Which of the files did you download? There are a number listed. Open the file in the QT player and check the info to see the file type

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:22:47 pm

I downloaded all the files that have LogC at the tail of the file name. When I open them up in Quicktime I get the following messages: "The movie could not be opened. The end of the file has been reached." and "The movie could not be opened. This is not a movie file." Or I get the message, that I need additional software to open the document.

I've uploaded an image of what happens when I click on one of the clips in Safari.

The slate very clearly states that it is a ProRes 422 HQ Log-C file, yet I can't open it in any of the softwares I previously mentioned.

Here is a screen grab of my browser when I click on the clip "Int_PR4444_LogC.mov"

Again, clearly states on the slate what kind of shot it is. You can also see that part of the movie has loaded as well.

I'm not really sure what is going on, whether it's the files that I'm getting that are messed up or just the software I'm using. Hope that answers your questions Gary. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:42:31 pm

[Brittany DeLillo] "When I open them up in Quicktime I get the following messages: "The movie could not be opened. The end of the file has been reached."

That means the file has not fully downloaded.

ProRes files will not play in Safari at all, so I am DL'ing the INT_PR422HQ_LogC to check, but the server is kinda slow this mornng.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Jan 16, 2012 at 4:46:30 pm

Thanks Gary. I will re-download the clips and see if that changes things. Maybe the download got cut off and I never noticed? That said, I'm not sure how these open in Safari but they do consistently...

BrickWall1_PR4444_Logc.mov - 4 hours and up remaining....

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:26:13 pm

[Brittany DeLillo] "When I open them up in Quicktime I get the following messages: "The movie could not be opened. The end of the file has been reached."

I have DL'd a couple of the files and none of them open in Safari and yes they are indeed ProRes

this one is Int_PR422HQ_LogC.mov and you can see that my file is ProRes 422HQ/

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:08:46 pm

I was able to download another one, this time the whole file, and it imports just fine. I guess that was the only issue. The other clip I got must have been faulty to begin with.

Thanks for the help (even though it was ultimately a silly issue).

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 9, 2012 at 7:04:42 pm

I have downloaded some of them twice and still cannot open any of them in anything.

I am on a Mac and am IT knowlegeable. I am doing save as and waiting for the download to finish.

Anybody try these lately?

Thanks,
Robert

Return to posts index

michael stirling
on May 24, 2013 at 9:35:10 am

Hmm,

Just wanted to test some new LUTs and found I didn't have all the flavours of Alexa locally so tried to download these

They download about 30MB before they 'think' they're done. I've tried in chrome, safari and firefox.
I see from Gary's post that Int_PR422HQ_LogC.mov is 842MB but all I get is 26MB. I'm on a pretty fast pipe in a post house.

Any thoughts?

thanks
Michael.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]