FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alexa footage is milky

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Beall
Alexa footage is milky
on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:50:33 am

We just shot some test footage on the Alexa..
Everything looked great on the live feed, but when we pull the MOVs from the SXS card, everything looks very milky, low contrast..

Is there something we're doing wrong?

We can't use this footage at all..

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Alexa footage is milky
on Sep 7, 2011 at 12:05:03 pm

Your footage was recorded with the Log-C profile. Go down a couple of posts and read my response in the Importing footage into FCP thread for a better explanation.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Beall
on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:07:30 pm

Oliver,

You are correct.. We (luckily!) shot a test and got the LogC 422 footage.. It was also pretty compressed.. We are shooting this morning, and switched to 422 709 (no FCP here, all avid) and everything looks great..

Once I did find out the problem, I went to Arri's site and used the web based LUT generator.. That definitely helped, but I never got the rich colors we saw when we were shooting.. I'm colorcorrecting in AE.. Just for future reference, is there something I'm not doing?

Thanks!

-Matthew

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 8, 2011 at 1:23:48 am

[Matthew Beall] "It was also pretty compressed"

I'm not sure what you mean. Typically Alexa shooters record in ProRes4444, which is far less compressed that any other codec. Or did you mean lower contrast? If so, that's normal and simply the way it looks before a LUT or any color correction is applied.

[Matthew Beall] "and switched to 422 709"

This means the DP needs to be very careful not to clip or crush levels. You are limiting the potential the camera has to offer. But if the look is nailed in camera on-set, 709 is fine. Clearly that's no different than if a Sony or Panasonic camera were used.

[Matthew Beall] "That definitely helped, but I never got the rich colors we saw when we were shooting.. I'm colorcorrecting in AE.. Just for future reference, is there something I'm not doing?"

Did you read the blog posts I referenced? It's pretty thoroughly covered there.

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/category/arri-alexa/

I generally increase saturation when I color correct or apply a LUT on the Log-C footage. Also AE has a Cineon-to-video converter than might work well. In general, Colorista II, Looks or Color Finesse inside AE do a great job in with this Log-C footage.

If you are in Avid, simply import the ProRes4444 Log-C image via AMA. Cut normally. Apple a basic overall correction on an upper video track for viewing. Then send to AE without this correction layer and do the final grade there.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:27:57 am

>>Just for future reference, is there something I'm not doing?

It sounds to me like you're not using the Arri Rec709 color matrix. You need to build a LUT explicitly incorporating that matrix if you want proper saturation and proper colorimetry to be restored.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]