FORUMS: list search recent posts

Impoting ALEXA footage into FCP

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Brayton
Impoting ALEXA footage into FCP
on Sep 1, 2011 at 1:23:30 am

I'm trying to import footage that was shot on the ARRI ALEXA camera. It doesn't look right. When I import the xml, the footage comes out looking desaturated and flat.

I was told I needed to download some plugin for FCP to apply a LUT to the footage. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Impoting ALEXA footage into FCP
on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:40:14 am

The footage was shot with the Log-C profile. Preserves the dynamic range and is very pliable for grading. I use Nick Shaw's Log-C-to-709 LUT filters and they work great for editing. Then for the final, strip them out and grade in Color using ARRI's LUT for Color. Review these blog posts I've done that cover this and it should become clearer:

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/category/arri-alexa/

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:34:56 pm

Hi Oliver
I am in a bit of an emergency situation on a Arri job - I have been editing with ProRes files that are from an Arri shoot (no LUT applied yet so totally flat) I have not only the transcoded ProRes files which I have been editing with, but I also have the .ari sequences which will need the LUT applied and also converted to dpx sequences for vfx pipeline. A few .cube and 1 .cdl file were included in a LUT folder but beyond that I am not familiar with how to apply the LUT to the ProRes footage I am editing in FCP, as well as applying it to the arri sequences which will also need to be converted to dpq. I have access to Color & Davinci Resolve on Mac - as well as AE of course but I need to know what tools & workflow makes the most sense in that I am using FCP - would a GlueTools plugin be able to take the LUT and convert to dpq out of FCP?

I have just purchased Nick Shaw's plugin to have an estimate of the LUT provided on set so thanks for that info, but I will of course need to apply the LUT given to us and apply that to not only the ProRes footage I am editing with BUT also to the .ari sequences while converting to DPX - any help would be greatly appreciated as its super time sensitive that I accomplish all of this.
thank you
Andrew

MacPro 4,1 OSX 10.6.8 / FCS3 / CS5
2.26 ghz 8-core / 24GB RAM
Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:21:37 am

I am unfamiliar with .ari sequences. Are these from ARRIRAW recordings? So far my only work has been with ProRes files from ALEXA. In FCP, simply apply the Nick Shaw LUT filter to the clips, just like any other type of filter. Or use the standard FCP color corrector or 3-way and create and apply a custom setting. These are for editing reference only and not for finishing. I'm not really sure of the best way to apply LUTs to DPX image sequence. You could do that in AE, but it really means rendering in new media with the LUT applied. I'm not sure you want to do that. I wouldn't use Color to do any conversions because Color is meant to be at the end of the line. It changes TCs and file names.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:28:05 am

[andrew smith] "I will of course need to apply the LUT given to us and apply that to not only the ProRes footage I am editing with BUT also to the .ari sequences while converting to DPX - any help would be greatly appreciated as its super time sensitive that I accomplish all of this.
thank you"

would go with the GlueTools Arriraw plug-in, I have worked with the others but I find the GT workflow the easiest to handle. Bob is the master when converting arriraw to DPX

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]