FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alexa resolution

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Beall
Alexa resolution
on Aug 27, 2011 at 11:58:01 am

We have a shoot coming up and may use the Alexa..

Does it have the resolution to shoot someone full on greenscreen, and hold up to zooming in to get a close up of the upper torso?

We're trying to get away with not shooting two cameras at the same time (one full screen, one close up)..

I see one stat say a resolution of 3392x2200, but all the samples I see are only HD (1920x1080)..

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Alexa resolution
on Sep 4, 2011 at 2:26:33 pm

I'm not sure which specific specs you are reading, but with Alexa you have the sensor size, the raw image size and the video size. All video outputs are 1920x1080. This is down sampled, not cropped, from the full sensor image. I think the raw file size is 2880 wide.

To answer your zoom question - that's a pretty extreme blow up. You will lose apparent resolution (sharpness) and the image will appear soft if you do this from the HD image. You will have better results if you use the raw image, but it will be best if you don't do such an extreme zoom. Or if you trick the shot by rotating the camera 90 degrees to get the benefit of the full width of the image. Recording ARRIRAW requires a special outboard recorder.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]