FORUMS: list search recent posts

35mm vs arri alexa

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Garcia
35mm vs arri alexa
on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:11:25 pm

Will a alexa or any digital camera produce a better image quality than a 35mm camera since it uses film

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: 35mm vs arri alexa
on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:20:19 pm

That depends entirely upon how stale the film, developer, stop, bleach, and fixer chemicals you bought are. You`d have to work with an electrically ungrounded lens in the Alexa or maybe bad LTO recording tape to produce the same problem in an Alexa shoot.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:19:54 pm

[Fred Jodry] "You`d have to work with an electrically ungrounded lens in the Alexa ."

EH??

What exactly is an electrically ungrounded Lens?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Feb 25, 2011 at 2:39:26 am

An electrically ungrounded lens is when the rear barrel of the lens you just tossed on your television camera fails to make electrical contact to the body of the camera. AC hums, radio signals making interference, and occasional static tend to pour into the preamplifier by the photosurface. It usually happens when someone puts a film camera lens on a TV camera so the paint on the lens mount insulates the lens until you scrape a place to reach metal.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:41:51 pm

[Fred Jodry] "An electrically ungrounded lens is when the rear barrel of the lens you just tossed on your television camera fails to make electrical contact to the body of the camera. AC hums, radio signals making interference, and occasional static tend to pour into the preamplifier by the photosurface."

Funny I asked a bunch of Engineers about this and all of them said this has not been an issue with cameras for more than 20yrs So What does this have to do with the needs of 35MM vs Alexa during location shooting around the world in non-studio situations.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:48:17 pm

[Mike Garcia] "Will a alexa or any digital camera produce a better image quality than a 35mm camera since it uses film"

Mike
that would depend on the shooter and the conditions,

Alexa's workflow allows you to capture and start your edit while still on location, not rely on the differing film labs and having to create offline of your film masters.

If you are planning on going film consider 16mm as it offers greater flexibility and film has proven archival, the Digital workflows required by Alexa will compound the gear and power requirements immensely, and power issues n some countries is nothing short of abysmal.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Feb 26, 2011 at 5:54:24 pm

Only if you have a really great cinematographer on the Alexa and a really awful one on the film camera.

Return to posts index

Justin McAleece
on Apr 17, 2011 at 1:55:34 am

I think nowadays most people are so used to watching bad compression, youtube awfullness and improper anamorphic stretching that the general pubilc can almost never tell the difference between imagers of this quality.

Justin McAleece
Production Manager

Video Production Services

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 17, 2011 at 2:01:43 pm

Not in my opinion, Justin. Although the total number of viewers is way- down (speaking for the USA) those who are watching, both at home and in the movie theatre (watching in the theatre has gone up mentionable amounts) are expecting much better picture fidelity than what the cat dragged in the door with line screen color displays, saticon or cheap examples of chip cameras, and of course, color- under video tape, or DVDs made from this. Even on the computer`s intake, moving pictures have gone from bad to poor, so you can settle for stills. We used to watch Flipper, Dondi, and Romper Room in better picture and sound quality than the average viewer`s show is now. And you are way- right about the viewers being blind to the distorted and slitted aspect ratios. I am Broadcaster so I think of making my own shows in poor quality as slashing my own wrists. I just wish it were easier.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]