FORUMS: list search recent posts

5d footage intercut with alexa?

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
todd mcmullen
5d footage intercut with alexa?
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:35:52 pm

I'm going to be shooting a tv broadcast show with the Alexa. In log C.
however, we have some car work and foot chase scenes which I would like to go smaller and use the 5d.
Anybody have any experience or see any footage of these formats cut together.
Keep in mind that the 5d footage should only be quick cuts of action.

thanks

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: 5d footage intercut with alexa?
on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:46:01 pm

Todd, since you`ll be rendering the Alexa and 5C to nearly the same gamma (shades of brightness as each other) as seen on the displays, no mentionable problem there, even if you couldn`t decide whether to use ProRes or log c on the Alexa. But the taking colorimetry is another matter. Take a good set of lens color filters to the shoot, enough for both cameras at the same time as needed. Also, typically, exceptions are few, use a video oscilloscope and manual irises on both cameras` lenses mostly so that there are no undue video overloads. Run pre-tests. Also make sure you don`t bring back unmatching audio if that`s a concern. These are the general directions; you`ll do fine.

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Feb 22, 2011 at 10:45:11 pm

thanks Fred
please give me a little more insight to the color issues of which you speak.
I suspect you are pointing out the different color temperatures that will/or won't be recorded in this case.
ie...3200k on the alexa could be a different looking 3200k on the 5d?
i will definitely test but I am hoping to use the 5d only for night work.
I would think it would be possible to do at least a small amount of color grading to the 5d if I need it to match.I will also more than likely be using the same glass in front of both cameras.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:47:27 am

Todd, while what colors you see can be substituted for in display by colors mixed from sources as though you are looking at light gone through (deep of course) red, green, and, blue inkwells, what both the human eye and the color camera takes should be made of 3 broad mostly overlapping shapes that have 7 characteristic places to mention:

1. infrared edge of noticable sensitivity. 2. red primary 3. yellow mix. 4. green primary 5. blue- green mix 6. blue primary. 7. ultraviolet edge of noticable sensitivity.

Without using filters on the lenses of dissimilar cameras it is pretty common to run across some rather distracting or worse yet, stymieing takes in the shoot where maybe a deep dark red dress against a jet black theatre curtain background appears normal on one camera while the other camera takes it as a jet black dress on a jet black background.

Subjecting cameras to night lighting puts them working with light sources that are far removed from reference white. Since color cameras are intended for the most part to imitate the taking colorimetry of the eye, errors are mostly that, errors. The very deep colored unpredictable light of night shooting really opens up the sores. Color correction doesn`t necessarily work big miracles. Make the miracles smaller. Shoot right, patch less.

If your tests reveal an area where there`s some leeway in the filters, for example, a very weak slime green filter belongs on one camera and a very weak blue filter belongs on the other, or you can use a plainly weak yellow filter on one camera and no filter on the other, leaving you on a fence of which is better, remember that the deeper, and in one case, no filter, combination leaves one camera losing the most light sensitivity because of the deeper filter and the other running wide open sensitivity because of less filter or no window at all, in the way. Consider the sensitivities of your two cameras as you use them. It`s common to aim for weaker filters.

If this is your first lesson in taking and display colors then you got it from Fred Jodry.

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:59:31 am

Haha, well, thank you, Professor. I got it.

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:17:37 pm

[todd mcmullen] "Haha, well, thank you, Professor. I got it."

Glad you did,

I can never seem to make sense of his posts.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]