FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS Format options

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
SxS Format options
on Dec 20, 2010 at 2:39:38 pm

What is the procedure for formatting the SxS cards on the Alexa? Is there a card name setting where one can determine how new cards are named? Ideally each time a card gets formatted it would be assigned a unique name that would pass on to the QT "Tape/Reel" name.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: SxS Format options
on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:18:18 pm

[John Heagy] " Is there a card name setting where one can determine how new cards are named? Ideally each time a card gets formatted it would be assigned a unique name that would pass on to the QT "Tape/Reel" name."

Happy Holidays John,

The cards need to be formatted in camera due to the nature of the UDF format. Card naming can be done in limited manner with the current version of the camera software.
you can practice here.

http://www.arridigital.com/technical/simulator

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:21:29 pm

Happy Holidays to you too Gary!

I tried the Arri sim but it's non functional in Safari, and crashes FireFox. Is it meant for iPhone/iPad only?

I read up on the SxS naming... very nice, but have a few questions.

We had a demo here for a day and shot a few clips.

example: A001C021_101217_R1QG.mov SxS volume/tape name A001R1QG

So the camera serial is 1QG in base36... how perfectly German!

The user decides on the camera index letter (A), and the R or L camera prefix preceding the serial. What's with that... R or L?

The incrementing clip index C021, followed by the date. Only a two digit year instead of 4 like in the manual? Is that user defined?

My big question is the 001 reel index following the the A. The manual says the reel index shall be reset at the start of a shoot. What's the start of a shoot?... power up? Or is that determined by the user?

Interesting that the reel index does not get assigned on format, only when the first recording is begun. So if I format a card and pull it out, how will it be named? What if I format in camera A then record in camera B? Or does a format not name it anything ie NONAME?

Sounds like there's no way to ensure a unique volume/tape name for every card formatted. That's okay... just trying to predict what the camera will do.

I'm sure I'm making this more complicated than it is.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 21, 2010 at 3:34:03 pm

It is designed for the Ipad. but I have had no issue in Safari on my laptop, Firefox is a little dicey IMHO.

[John Heagy] "The user decides on the camera index letter (A), and the R or L camera prefix preceding the serial. What's with that... R or L?
"

Stereoscopic - Right and Left.

"What's the start of a shoot?... power up? Or is that determined by the user?"

right now that is Power UP, but the setting is due to be changed in the next software build.

"What if I format in camera A then record in camera B? Or does a format not name it anything ie NONAME"

The camera will force you to reformat the card when switching cards between cameras, this too is to be changed in a future software update.

"I'm sure I'm making this more complicated than it is."

No I think that you are making sure all the receivers are covered before the game starts.

Ping me if you need anything else answered.

Happy Holidays!

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 22, 2010 at 9:06:58 pm

Stereoscopic... of course!

Thanks for the info. Seems workflow is single camera centric. What name are the cards formatted with prior to recording? Just the 3 digit serial?

I understand the SxS cards need to be formatted in camera, but we really don't want camera operators to click yes to the "Are you sure you want to blow away whatever is on this card" question. No one can spare an Alexa as a in house card formatter so I suppose the only option is to format the card as HFS or FAT32 so it's wiped prior to being handed to camera ops.

What's a good SxS reader? Seems the Sony SBAC-US10 and the Qio are the only external readers out there. No firewire to be found?

Ironically we are going to be recording to KiPros for sound, and SxS for highspeed. Does the Alexa have a lens tap, or equivalent, to trigger the KiPro? I'd imagine it must have something to trigger recordings on the codex recorders.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 20, 2011 at 11:43:38 pm

[John Heagy] "What name are the cards formatted with prior to recording? Just the 3 digit serial?"

That one I can now answer: All cards are formatted as ARRI_UDF Certainly beats NONAME!!!!

John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]