FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Recording Devices

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Shi
External Recording Devices
on Dec 9, 2010 at 3:55:24 am

Hi guys, a question on the external recording devices.

our company is going to get an ARRI ALEXA soon, and we want to know how to use an external recording devices do record the datas, the user guide shows how to sent the time code out and its possible to use an external recording devices to record, what i try to know is that once i connect the external recording devices to the camera, will the external recording devices start recording as soon as i press the REC button on the camera?

Hans Shi

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: External Recording Devices
on Dec 9, 2010 at 3:40:51 pm

External devices recorders, computer in them or not, will take a while to get rolling. For instance if it`s the turn on and first take at a shoot, the camera itself will take a flat minute or so to turn on and ready itself. Simultaneously?- the recorder is doing similar. After that, I wouldn`t be surprised if SXS memory cards if in an external device fire up in half a second, hard drives if already spinning, even faster, but recording tape if able to record in real-time, could take 20 seconds give or take a million years to stabilize and bring in data. Remember that the camera is intended, subject to present developments, to output 2 out of 3 output hookups at a time without glitching each other. It would be practical of you to make properly, consistently? prerolled recordings as always to go to the editor while a live pickoff can get corrected and transferred live both as possible for live broadcasting, and as source help for offline editing and "proofs, rushes, and dailies".

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Dec 9, 2010 at 3:43:42 pm

Also look to the DTE direct to edit subject, and ask the software vendors and actual users for better advice than mine.

Return to posts index

Seth Emmons
on Dec 21, 2010 at 11:04:03 pm

Support for "video trigger" is an addition to the SMPTE specification for HD-SDI and has begun to be implemented by the camera manufacturers. External recorder manufacturers are also now supporting it.

This works by the camera inserting a bit sequence into the HD-SDI stream when the 'REC' button is pressed. When powered on, the recorder is constantly looking for it. When it is seen, the recorder activates.

For the Arri Alexa, the internal SxS recording and the external recorder will begin recording simultaneously. There is no 'spin-up' time lag, since all the devices are solid state and not using hard drives anymore for obvious reasons. This allows for what is known as DUAL RECORD functionality, in which the SxS card ProRes format becomes used for Dailies and the uncompressed external recorder (ARRIRAW or DPX) files are used for final finishing. It's efficient, fast and delivers great quality.

Return to posts index

Hans Shi
on Dec 22, 2010 at 1:25:48 am

Thanks Seth

so that means as long as i got the cable connect right, both my SXS card and external recoder(let's say it a tape recoder) will work at the same time when i press the REC button on the camera?!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 19, 2010 at 6:03:14 pm

Hans,

The simple answer is yes, the camera can output a "start" signal to qualified recorders that will roll when the camera does. Time code is embedded in the HSDSI signal as will the audio when it is finally implemented in version 3.0 software which we all expect in the first quarter of 2011.

John Sharaf
Alexa Owner/Operator
Pacific Palisades, Ca

Return to posts index

Hans Shi
on Dec 22, 2010 at 1:27:37 am

Thanks John

So which means that this option will be available when the new version of the software come out, so far the present version will not able to do that?

Sorry english is not my first language, sometime i got confuse understanding the meanings

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:41:00 am

Yes. Arriraw should be enabled with SUP 3.0 which we initially exected this December, then January, now they're saying 1st quarter 2011. It will be a real party when this upgrade finally arrives, there will be something for everyone.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]