FORUMS: list search recent posts

Arri Alexa Xt lens curve.

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Milling
Arri Alexa Xt lens curve.
on Sep 21, 2015 at 3:25:09 pm

Im editing a project using Alexa Xt lens and its coming our 4:3 Anamorphic 2k.

I've import the footage and changed frame size of the sequence to 1836 x 1536 pixels and Anamorphic 2:1 (2.0).

When I move the clip to the sequence, it looks great, however with the very wide shots i notice that there are still some curves like in door frames ect. I know the crop gets rid of a lot of the curve, however there is still some, but it gets less as you get further to the middle of the shot.

Any advice would be great!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Arri Alexa Xt lens curve.
on Sep 21, 2015 at 3:58:51 pm

[Ricky Milling] "Im editing a project using Alexa Xt lens and its coming our 4:3 Anamorphic 2k.
"

Tools available to you vary with NLE, you do not say what NLE nor what type of edit, and whether you are woking in Arriraw or ProRes.

There is little you can do to (easily) to un-distort wide angle footage, especially with an anamorphic lens.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Ricky Milling
on Sep 21, 2015 at 4:47:10 pm

Ah sorry, im using Premiere CC 2015 (latest version) and is coming in at ProRes 4444 2048 × 1536.

Are you saying its normal to see a little bit of curve when using anamorphic lens an i shouldnt worry?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 21, 2015 at 9:03:31 pm

[Ricky Milling] "Are you saying its normal to see a little bit of curve when using anamorphic lens an i shouldnt worry?"

There is an inherent optical distortion in all anamorphic lenses, by their nature they were designed to use the greatest amount of the original 4:3 film frame as possible then with a projector and lens of the same elemental design was then used to "unsqueeze" the image for the screen.

All of that push / pull / squeeze of the light to the imager carries with it the characteristics of that lens type's optical distortion, so yes you have to accept it or correct it later.

The designs from Kiowa and Lomo show noticeable curvature even at relatively normal focal lengths (35mm+)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]