FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alexa prores to avid workflow

COW Forums : ARRI

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ori Dè rascher
Alexa prores to avid workflow
on Jan 5, 2014 at 8:23:22 pm

Hi everybody. I've just look 'round by the forums here but i've some difficult finding what I need.

As D.I.T. sometimes productions asking me to give an mxf transcode of the footage to the post house, and I just wanna be sure to send the material the perfect way.

I'll send an hard drive whit te Avid MediaFiles/MXF/(number of the shooting day) at the root level. I've just tried to ceck my transcoded files into Avid and everythings works fine. But my dubt are about the "round trip"

On first, if I shoot on alexa I do my transcodes whit davinci, both prores4444 or arriraw, and deliver in dnxhd36. I think my workflow in davinci is correct to preserve clip names timecode and metadata, but Iìm not sure about additional files like .ale .xml or similar that I've to send too. If I shoot prores the Alexa will generate an .ale file, how I've to use it? I've to copy it in the mxf subfolder or what? This .ale is needed to relink the dnxhd i've created in Davinci to the original prores footage,right? How this process works? (this is not my job but I just want to understand and do things thr right way)

If the footage was arriraw I'll do the same kind of transcode, but what about .ale? Whit the arriraw folder structure just an .xml is coming, what I've to send to the editor?Maybe I've to generate .ale or something in Davinci?

For the RED one,epic or scarlet is supposed to be easyer...if one have a redrocket card! I have not and as you know redcine is a good tool but it's really slow. Anyway, using redcine you can create a dnxhd whit .ale, and I suppose I have to send them the same way as above... But I know there's another way via Avid to create dnxhd from the proxies .mov of the camera (by creating them in redcine if you're not using a red one camera) doeas anybody knows about this workflow?

I'm so sorry but i really need to know how things works step-by-step.

Thanks everybody for your patience and help!!!

This town needs an enema! _The Joker

Mac Pro 3,1 2008 GeForce GTX 570 4 Gb RAM

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Alexa prores to avid workflow
on Jan 11, 2014 at 2:15:01 am

The ALE is typically merged to the master clip to add additional metadata that is not part of the MXF wrapper when generating DNxHD.

Although my blog is about accessing metadata from the BMC Cameras, the ALE merging steps are the same:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=29

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]