FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 0 mistake. Recovery possible?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor armstrong
RAID 0 mistake. Recovery possible?
on May 12, 2011 at 2:42:32 am

Hi guys, I am new to setting up raid arrays. I think I just made a pretty big mistake. I'll try and explain my situation as simple as possible.

In my new system, I have 3 drives.

2 150GB raptors
1 2TB backup drive.

In my attempt to raid my 2 150 raptors together, I accidentally got the sata cables physically mixed up. When entering my RAID setup from boot up (CTRL-J), instead of performing a RAID-0 setup on the two 150GB drives, I RAID-0'd one of the 150GB drives, with the 2TB backup drive I have.

It didn't warn me about erasing any data, and didn't do a format of any sort.

Long story short - Even using parted Magic, looking at my 2TB drive, it shows there is only unallocated space...

Is there ANY way of getting the information on my 2TB drive back? again, I have done nothing other than raid 0 it with one of the raptors... The hard drive(s) had almost 0 activity after doing so, so i am guessing the information on my 2TB is still "there" somewhere... Is there any software, or option that I can do to retrieve the data on the 2TB, or is it simply gone.

Thanks so much in advance

-Trevor

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: RAID 0 mistake. Recovery possible?
on May 12, 2011 at 3:28:48 am

Acronis Disk Director may help

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

"Acronis Recovery Expert is a highly reliable data partition and disk recovery tool that prepares you to tackle and repair the results of a personal error, hardware or software failure, virus attack or hacker's intrusive destruction, fast."

They have a free trial - see if it works.

There are also EASEUS Partition Recovery and "Find & Mount"

Do not do any destructive steps until you are shown a folder structure. :)

Good luck.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 12, 2011 at 3:40:54 am

Forget it Trevor, it's toast now. Anytime you push the button to create a RAID you're changing the most basic track structure of the drives and wiping our the drive directory. You can try to dink around with all you want, but the odds are very much against you recovering anything.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on May 12, 2011 at 3:51:20 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Forget it Trevor, it's toast now."

Not so fast David! :)

Erasing a file usually means setting a bit in the file allocation table to tell the OS that it's been deleted. Until something is written in its place (or in the FAT's record of it), the data is perfectly recoverable.

Same with partitions - marking the drive part of an array most likely wiped out the partition table; it should still be recoverable if the volume hasn't been striped or formatted.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Trevor armstrong
on May 12, 2011 at 12:24:12 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply gentlemen!

I'll give disk director a go when I get home from work. I plan on installing Windows 7 on the raptor raid 0 set, installing disk director, and seeing if it can work its magic on the 2TB drive that is (now) correctly connected directly into the motherboard - not the raid controller (doh!).

Thanks again, I shall keep you posted

-Trevor

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on May 12, 2011 at 8:00:31 pm

Don't connect or power up the 2TB drive until Win7 is installed. Theoretically, nothing bad should happen to it during Win7 installation but I am seriously superstitious. :)

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 12, 2011 at 8:44:01 pm

[Alex Gerulaitis] "Not so fast David! :)

Erasing a file usually means setting a bit in the file allocation table to tell the OS that it's been deleted. Until something is written in its place (or in the FAT's record of it), the data is perfectly recoverable."

trust me, I would love to be wrong in this case, and I sincerely hope that Trevor is able to resurrect everything he needs.

Good luck to you Trevor, I'm pulling for you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Ben Griggs
on May 13, 2011 at 9:07:31 pm

Have you gotten this taken care of?

I've seen it happen, and as long as you haven't actually written data to the disk all the information is still there (but not)

Creating a RAID array generally doesn't zero out the drives, that would take a while for a drive that size, you'd notice. It just changes the master boot record, MBR, and that can be repaired by windows usually.

You can jump to using Acronis (not free). It's probably the safest route, you'll get everything. But you need equal size storage to write the recovered data to and be prepared to wait for ages while it rebuilds.

What can prevent Windows from automatically repairing the MBR in this case, is if your bios and the MBR conflict about being RAID. So try switching from RAID to IDE in your BIOS and see if Windows wants to actually be useful!. Chances are you'll have your data back real quick.

GL,
Ben

Return to posts index

Trevor armstrong
on May 16, 2011 at 3:37:21 am

Gentlemen, thank you all so much. With help from you and other forums, I was able to get 100% of my data back from the drive! I used TestDisk which worked like a charm (loaded through PartedMagic off of UBCD). My eyes lit up when I saw all of my directories show up on the disk while in TestDisk. It was a great moment.

Thank you so much. I most certainly will leave the 2tb drive disconnected while getting my raid0 set up - this time.

Anyone else trying to retreive data in a similar fashion can certainly email me for the steps that I took in my case.

cheers

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 16, 2011 at 6:53:06 am

[Trevor armstrong] " I was able to get 100% of my data back from the drive! "

Congrats!!! I'm really happy for you Trevor and happy I was dead wrong. I wish I had the same luck as you in the past when I was a Windows person, but alas, that was not the case.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

John Hubbard
on Jun 6, 2011 at 2:40:06 am

Oh Man . . . When I see the acronym 2 Tb, I cringe as it makes me think of the WD (Western Digital) drive that the Apple Store loves to sell.
Not to be a "Hater" or bash someone's favorite device ... but I lost a TON of information, followed by a very expensive Data Salvage operation because I stupidly trusted my entire portfolio to one of these little desktop demons.
The thing is a paperweight in a lovely glossy white skin.
That's ALL it's good for. It was never dropped or misshandled, but it took me to the woodshed, HARD.

Return to posts index

Trevor armstrong
on Jun 6, 2011 at 4:29:02 pm

Hi John, sorry to hear about your expense! Nah, the 2TB that I have is the Seagate ST32000... a slow 5400rpm drive. Besides, I never buy anything apple :)

To say the least, I learnt my lesson with digital storage. Luckily I had the most important information backed up on DVD, but to recover all of the 2TB, using freeware software to say the least - was a dream come true.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 22, 2011 at 3:52:35 pm

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I am in shock - I never heard of this utility (and it's free !), and I would have bet money that it would NOT have worked.

Great tip !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]