FORUMS: list search recent posts

New CineRaid + Drobopro Time Machine - Raid 5 or 6?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Dee
New CineRaid + Drobopro Time Machine - Raid 5 or 6?
on May 3, 2011 at 3:38:19 am

I am finally getting some modern data storage. I have a 16 drive Cineraid with 6G drives on order and a Drobopro FS strictly for continuous Timemachine back ups.

Both will be 16 TB each of storage.

Does it make sense to set up the Cineraid as raid 5 or raid 6 in this instance?

I'm hoping to see Kona utility throughput of 1500 megs/sec or better, but I'll post when I get the system set up.

Can't wait to hear Bob yell at me on this one....

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: New CineRaid + Drobopro Time Machine - Raid 5 or 6?
on May 3, 2011 at 12:45:36 pm

for max performance, use RAID5. RAID 6 is great, if you refuse to pay attention when you get a failed drive notice. Most people use RAID 5. The CineRaid is teriffic, but of course, you have not stated what host controller you have. Is it the new 1880 card ?

I am not a drobo fan, but for backup - what the heck.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on May 3, 2011 at 6:04:49 pm

Richard,

When applicable & depending on the product, we recommend RAID 6, the key reason is that if you have a drive fail in RAID 5 and rebuild and another drive dies, you'll lose the whole array. In RAID 6 if a drive dies, and another dies during the rebuild you're still protected. I personally don't recommend Highpoint cards, (support issues, firmware updates are slow & far between) we are partnered with & only recommend ATTO, specifically the R680 card with which our 8 bay STARDOM SOHOTANK 6Gb/s has RAID 6 performance of 830MB/s read/write. It's validated and used by Blackmagic Design

SOHOTANK ST8-U5

Jonathan Schilling | Sales & Marketing Manager
RAIDON-USA Technology
STARDOM Storage by RAIDON
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel: 626-333-7888
http://www.stardom-usa.com

See us on the Cow! Stardom Storage Forum on Creative Cow

Return to posts index

Richard Dee
on May 3, 2011 at 8:32:01 pm

Thanks for the input. I believe they use the Areca cards. If I am correct Raid 6 takes a slight loss in write speed over 5, but they should read the same? Might stay with raid 6.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]