FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hitachi A7K2000 vs WD RE4 WD2003FYYS - no more A7K2000s!

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
warwick teale
Hitachi A7K2000 vs WD RE4 WD2003FYYS - no more A7K2000s!
on Apr 29, 2011 at 10:36:37 am

Lads! some advice please. I currently happily possess 8 x Hitachi A7K2000's in a Stardom ST8-U5 enclosure SAS I/F with ATTO R380 HBA and MACPRO 2009 Nehalem model. All works great.

I am looking for 8 x additional Hitachi A7K2000's but alas on ordering through my local man here in Hong Kong, he tells me that since Western Digitals acquisition of Hitachi Disk division this year, that WD are not distributing the Hitachi A7K2000's! (whaaat!)

Instead the distributor is naturally flogging the WD RE4 enterprise version WD2003FYYS. spec = nearly the same as the HItachi A7K2000 but with a 64MB cache instead of a 32MB cache per ddm. (like it really matters..)

Sure I can order A7K2000's from the usa from OWC (macsales.com) and with shipping is still financially worthwhile and this is what I am tempted to do.

HOwever, the benefits of buying locally (same price all up) is that I can exchange them (the ddm's) instantly should they fail (local distributor) , also tempting however in this case I am limited to Western Digital, a brand I have had some issues (bad taste left in mouth from past Western Digital RE3's) with prior to coming from the dark side to Hitachi A7K2000.

Q: any experience with WD2003FYYS enterprise disk in RAID for the creative w/flow?

workflows: fcp, compositing, grading with R3D, prores, stp, color.app etc.

Love the STARDOM ST8-U5 - replaced a faulty an unreliable PROAVIO EB8NS this year!.

thanks
warwick
Hong Kong

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Hitachi A7K2000 vs WD RE4 WD2003FYYS - no more A7K2000s!
on Apr 30, 2011 at 4:20:26 pm

the world changes. You will be more unhappy with the general incompatibity of older 3Gig SATA technology with newer 6Gig SATA technology. The electronics industry is changing more rapidly than ever, in every area (we just got finished developing some 10Gig ethernet stuff, and the entire product line we were testing and just got working, just got discontinued). Don't like this fact - tough noogies ! Buy from OWC, or buy Western Digital - everyone says that the new WD drives are teriffic (I personally don't know). And with the merger, there won't be any more Hitachi drives (just a sticker that may say Hitachi - maybe).

Welcome to progress.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

warwick teale
on May 1, 2011 at 5:59:40 am

Thank Bob! good advice. 4 x WD RE4 WD2003FYYS's it is. I shall order now.

Thanks again for your reality check :)

BTW were you on the MATROX booth in LVCC south at NAB? if not, that lad sure looked like you from your picture! lol

w
HK

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 2, 2011 at 7:12:33 pm

Wait...what? I look NOTHING like Bob Z. I might be going a little grey, but my hair is still mainly black...and still VERY manageable.

I can be seen here...well..OLD photo...

http://forums.creativecow.net/panasonicp2camcorders

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 2, 2011 at 11:40:30 pm

well, I was in the Matrox booth to look around, and I did see you a couple of times Shane.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]