FORUMS: list search recent posts

Back-up RAID/Harddrive Recommendations?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Monskey
Back-up RAID/Harddrive Recommendations?
on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:39:10 pm

I want recommendations on RAID back-up hard drives. I record entirely on digital media so I use harddrives for HD video storage. I have had such a high rate of drive failure using the LaCie Big Disk Extremes, and without backup, that I am now looking for reliable redundant storage. I want a large RAID, either 8 or 12 TB, and will use it in whatever configuration is most recommended (RAID 0 with backup drives, RAID 1 or RAID 5). I have about 9 TB of data to store and ever-expanding.
I have been looking at the LaCie 4Big Quadra and 4Big Quadra Enterprise Class, the Seagate BlackArmor 440 (both very affordable) and Sonnet’s Fusion D400QR5, Fusion D400Q, Fusion D800Raid and Fusion D800P2 and the new G-Speed Q coming in June (that's a long wait).
I am using a PowerBook G4 laptop and I don’t want to replace it at this time. It has Firewire 400 ports, but I only use the Firewire 800 ports for video editing. Some of the harddrives listed only have eSATA interface, but I can get an eSATA cardBus adapter to use in my laptop slot, so I’m not limited by the Firewire ports.
Any feedback or recommendations?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Back-up RAID/Harddrive Recommendations?
on Apr 26, 2010 at 6:22:07 pm

Since you have "9 terra bytes of storage and ever expanding", you`ll be heading for Raid 5 not Raid 1 or Raid "0 + 1". You don`t have to check out much of the rest of the internet, the Cow and it`s advertised products, software, and advice is rather full and has had a steady load of it since late February. Look and see that you have a full battle plan for stepping into the future, like not neglecting (incremental? manual?) backup and restore software if it`s something you need. My own boxes have "oversize" custom air filters on fan inputs to keep them clean without overheating them. I can`t see anything described outside of stepping up to a regular Raid box array except that it seems as though you`re saying that filling and uncabling hard drives is one of your ways of storage. It`s a good one. One thing you should do whether to mention those unhookable hard drives, or the ones in the Raid box, is try to pick hard drives that can be bought in identical batches, and that even have swappable circuit board cards in them for the furthest reaches in data rescues. "9 TB and ever expanding" sounds like a regular description of needing to "back up" data in two types of storage. Have you planned- in an uninterruptible power supply? It sounds like you`re on your way, just get a good night`s sleep (one that makes it all the way to your brain) and include pencil and paper in the things to pack for the trip. What`s your specific use? Some uses like banking or web serving have different stresses than the usual video or audio production that we usually see here. Ah! HD video storage. OK, regular.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]